tgrundon

Obama's "Confidence"

4 posts in this topic

Barrack Obama seems to win some people over who confuse his confidence in his ability to have political power with confidence in being right. What better explains his visit to Europe and the Middle East as if he were the president already? People who don't understand the threat from that kind of confidence will believe he is confident in his ideas. People usually respond to leaders who show confidence and Obama seems to understand how this works. How can his naive supporters be made to understand that confidence in controlling power over others is a dangerous thing?

Barrack Obama seems to win some people over who confuse his confidence in his ability to have political power with confidence in being right. What better explains his visit to Europe and the Middle East as if he were the president already? People who don't understand the threat from that kind of confidence will believe he is confident in his ideas. People usually respond to leaders who show confidence and Obama seems to understand how this works. How can his naive supporters be made to understand that confidence in controlling power over others is a dangerous thing?

I don't think he is self-confident. Power seeking politicians are typically dependent on the approval and sanction of others and are typically paranoid despite the act. It's the act that people fall for without knowing to ask what he stands for and what he will do. You are right that he understands how the imagery works, but if he were confident in his ideas he would tell people what they are.

I don't think he is self-confident. Power seeking politicians are typically dependent on the approval and sanction of others and are typically paranoid despite the act. It's the act that people fall for without knowing to ask what he stands for and what he will do. You are right that he understands how the imagery works, but if he were confident in his ideas he would tell people what they are.

I'm not sure that's entirely correct. George W. Bush seems very self-confident, and he's no less of a power-seeking politician than anyone else. In order to run for president and successfully get a major party nomination, being power-seeking is basically a prerequisite. It could be that politicians in general are very good at appearing self-confident, or perhaps it could be that some believe enough of their own rhetoric and are confident within that comfort zone.

George W. Bush seems very self-confident, and he's no less of a power-seeking politician than anyone else.

That's has never been my impression of Bush. I've always seen him as lacking self-confidence, more honest, and less of a power-luster than most politicians.