KPO'M

Dobson Considering Endorsing McCain

4 posts in this topic

Is this a time to worry, or is it a sign that it's safe to go with McCain, since he might actually get the votes of Dobson's sheeplike supporters without actually having to go further to the right?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080720/ap_on_...r/dobson_mccain

Since a person is only responsible for his own thoughts and actions, I am much more interested in who a man endorses than in who he is endorsed by.

Is this a time to worry, or is it a sign that it's safe to go with McCain, since he might actually get the votes of Dobson's sheeplike supporters without actually having to go further to the right?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080720/ap_on_...r/dobson_mccain

Since a person is only responsible for his own thoughts and actions, I am much more interested in who a man endorses than in who he is endorsed by.

I think the question was intended to address not the views of someone who "endorses" him but rather the implications for the dynamcis of the vote count and jockeying for position with behind-the-scenes deals and promises we can't know about.

It is far too early to predict even what the polls will be three months from now, let alone the likely electoral vote count in November. We'll never know what quasi-promises may be made or have been made in exchange for electoral support. The election is still close and McCain still needs to shore up an unhappy Republican "base" of both the secular and reliigious right he knows he is offensive to as well as going after the "swing vote" in the middle. Whatever McCain says in the campaign to appeal to various factions and to avoid offending them too much will have little to do with what he would do once in power. "Moving" this way or that to the right or anywhere else during the campaign rhetoric won't have much to do with what he would do once in office. He isn't "going" anywhere he's not already at. Obama is also predictably trying to sound less radical left to make people feel safe. We already know who McCain and Obama are and what the differences between them are. Barring one of them revealing something dramatically stupid, knowing what they actually are isn't going to change much throughout the campaign no matter what they appear to say or appeal to in public.

I think the question was intended to address not the views of someone who "endorses" him but rather the implications for the dynamcis of the vote count and jockeying for position with behind-the-scenes deals and promises we can't know about.

That's exactly what I was getting at. Actually, I think some of this jockeying could well have a difference on how the next presidential administration unfolds, particularly since the Vice Presidential candidates have yet to be chosen. Say what you want about how "irrelevant" the Vice Presidency is, but the last two have been highly influential, and it's likely the next person will want influence at least comparable to that which Gore and Cheney had. As long as the "right" wing of the GOP is skeptical, there is the risk that McCain will choose someone like Huckabee or Romney. If McCain knows he'll get the support (however begrudging) of some major figures in the Christian right he might give himself more leeway to choose a different running mate.