Betsy Speicher

Watchmen

Rate this book   9 votes

1. 1. Rate this book

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

26 posts in this topic

*******Spoilers Below*******

I ended up seeing the movie last night. As expected, I thought Zack Snyder did a great job of adapting the book to the movie. Given the complexity of the story, he did about as good a job as one can. Even the plot changes were well thought out and kept "tight" with the rest of the story (although a few bones were thrown to the viro movement). The actors and actresses were well-chosen, especially Rorschach.

On the negative side, it is a malevolent world that is projected. I knew this going in, so it didn't have much of an emotional impact on me. Yet, there were a number of things I had to "stomach."

Oddly, what turned this otherwise "good" movie into a poor one for me was the terrible sound track. From the grating Bob Dylan song that accompanied the opening scenes for several minutes to the now tired classics from the 60's (e.g., Hendrix's "All Along the Watchtower"), I thought the music was superficial and uninspired. It was as though the music was an afterthought.

Additionally, this was supposed to be taking place in the 80s, but most of the music seemed to come from the 60s or 70s. It's not that I wanted to hear a bunch of 80s hit songs either, but the use of music from earlier periods threw off the time line for me. I have always appreciated how music can really set a tone and "mood" for a movie, but this movie brought that issue home in a very negative way. The music was so off to me that otherwise good and important scenes lost all significance.

I had read the book and was quite curious to see how well it was adapted to the big screen. Now I have seen it and that's enough for me.