Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RayK

Scorpion stings

15 posts in this topic

Last night I was stung by a scorpion which caused some weird and painful sensations. First off, the scorpion sting is very painful as it feels like someone is burning the skin with a red hot poker. The next sensation is that my face, feet and hands all feel numb and have been since last night, this happens because of the neuro-toxin that the scorpion releases with it's stinger. The area around the sting seemed very sensitive and even my blanket caused enough pressure to keep me in constant pain all night which of course made it difficult to sleep. There seem to be no other side-effects at this time and from what I have read even these should go away soon. Hopefully no one else on THE FORUM gets stung. But, if you do the side-effects that I mentioned are normal as most scorpions are not deadly.

Last night I was stung by a scorpion which caused some weird and painful sensations. First off, the scorpion sting is very painful as it feels like someone is burning the skin with a red hot poker. The next sensation is that my face, feet and hands all feel numb and have been since last night, this happens because of the neuro-toxin that the scorpion releases with it's stinger. The area around the sting seemed very sensitive and even my blanket caused enough pressure to keep me in constant pain all night which of course made it difficult to sleep. There seem to be no other side-effects at this time and from what I have read even these should go away soon. Hopefully no one else on THE FORUM gets stung. But, if you do the side-effects that I mentioned are normal as most scorpions are not deadly.

Ray, do scorpions sting once and then run, or what? Are they more likely to sting you at night? Is this a failrly common occurrence down where you are? And, is there anything like Raid to spray for scorpions?

I hope the bad effects leave you fast.

That does sound very painful. Was the scorpion in your house? I hope you recover quickly.

Brian, usually scorpions try to escape from their predators before stinging. Most types of scorpions are nocturnal so most stings will probably happen at night. At my office complex I have probably killed 2 scorpions per month over the last 8 plus years so I would say that seeing scorpions is very normal here in the desert which is part of their natural habitat. I have actully only seen about 5 scorpions at my house of which this was one. There are spider and scorpion sprays but usually do no good to spray during the day as most scorpions are dormant during this time.

Thank you, as I appreciate your concern.

That does sound very painful. Was the scorpion in your house? I hope you recover quickly.

I was in my den and had just finished typing a post in another thread when I went to stand up and felt the burning sensation on my knee. The scorpion had crawled up my leg and under my pants without me noticing it. The intensity of the sting/burning sensation caused me to stop and pull up my pants which revealed the scorpion that I killed at that point.

I also appreciate your concern and thank you.

Doesn't sound like fun, Ray. My former apartment in Austin was loaded with scorpions. I mean, it was a nice gated community, with nice scenery, but little did I realize they had scorpions. A real draw back! They would come out of the grates in the ceiling and floor and I'd see them walking across the floor, which means you have to be careful when walking bare foot. Luckily I was never stung, but the guy above me was and he had an allergic reaction so had to be taken away by ambulance. Also, the dog in the next apartment was stung on the nose.

These are not the deadly kind and from what I hear their sting is similar to that of a wasp. So, I'm assuming these are not as potent as the one that stung you.

Btw, while swimming in the Gulf of Mexico about ten years ago I was stung by a jelly fish. Not a lot of fun either, but I'd say about like a wasp.

Sounds like no fun at all. VERY glad it wasn't the deadly kind!

The intensity of the sting/burning sensation caused me to stop and pull up my pants which revealed the scorpion that I killed at that point.

You didn't try to engage the scorpion in dialogue first? You could have consulted your family before acting in aggressive unilateralism. Perhaps this scorpion sting is just a response to your aggression on other scorpions, or maybe this scorpion lived in poverty which is what drove him to do it :huh:

Thales, I have lived in San Antonio and Corpus Christi and have gone swimming in the Gulf of Mexico often. I was only stung one time during the little over three years that I went swimming there consistently.

Piz, I am also glad that it was not one of the deadly kind, thanks.

Jordan, you must be right, "karma" is coming back to get me for the killing of those "poor" scorpions. :huh:

It took around 36 hours for the effects of the scorpion sting to end. For a day and a half my face, hands and feet felt numb along with the pain to my knee where the scorpion stung me. One other effect I forgot to mention earlier was the total lack of taste in the food I ate. The pain in the knee was very weird as it did not swell and after a few hours could not even see the hole from the sting. But, my knee and the surrounding area became difficult to bend and put force upon it.

I hope this information is of value to anyone that may get stung in the future as for most scorpion stings should not produce any more effects than what I went through.

Doesn't sound like fun, Ray. My former apartment in Austin was loaded with scorpions. I mean, it was a nice gated community, with nice scenery, but little did I realize they had scorpions. A real draw back! They would come out of the grates in the ceiling and floor and I'd see them walking across the floor, which means you have to be careful when walking bare foot. Luckily I was never stung, but the guy above me was and he had an allergic reaction so had to be taken away by ambulance. Also, the dog in the next apartment was stung on the nose.

In the movie A Good Year, there were scorpions in the chateau and bundles of lavender were placed on the window sills to keep them away. I had no idea that there were scorpions in France - or Austin!

I've been stung by jelly fish too. Around here we have a variety of a red wasp that is very aggressive with a potent stinger. The last time I got stung by one (I wasn't even close to the nest which was on the ceiling joist of the barn) - it popped me twice on my upper arm - a large red patch formed. About an hour later I was on my way to town and had to pull over because I couldn't hold my eyes open. I fell asleep, woke up and continued on my trip. I think I must be more allergic than as a child. It itched worse than poison ivy for several days afterwards.

Hope you're feeling much better Ray. I know you're a tough Marine, but it hurt my "feelings" when I got stung - at least the sucker died! <evil grin>

We have problems with black widows at my place. I've only found a few inside my house, luckily. But, If I'm not really proactive with the pest control early in the Spring, they can get out of control in my yard. They are really nasty criters. Our local handyman almost died from the bite of one that turned into blood poisoning.

I once had a scorpion run across my hand when I was moving some stuff in my dad's garage near here, several years ago. That got me on my toes. Ours aren't deadly either. But, they sure are strange looking.

I've also caught rattle snakes on our street. Those give me the creeps. They can really ruin your day. On the hottest days they come out early and are easy to find by the river nearby.

Glad that your sting wasn't serious, Ray.

The intensity of the sting/burning sensation caused me to stop and pull up my pants which revealed the scorpion that I killed at that point.

You didn't try to engage the scorpion in dialogue first? You could have consulted your family before acting in aggressive unilateralism. Perhaps this scorpion sting is just a response to your aggression on other scorpions, or maybe this scorpion lived in poverty which is what drove him to do it :D

Funny!

We have problems with black widows at my place. I've only found a few inside my house, luckily. But, If I'm not really proactive with the pest control early in the Spring, they can get out of control in my yard. They are really nasty criters. Our local handyman almost died from the bite of one that turned into blood poisoning.
Black Widow and Brown Recluse bites are pretty serious, and require immediate medical attention to prevent unsightly scars or more severe injuries. I too have also heard of people almost dying from a Black Widow death... it's almost beyond belief that something so small can kill a 200lb man with one bite.
I've also caught rattle snakes on our street. Those give me the creeps. They can really ruin your day. On the hottest days they come out early and are easy to find by the river nearby.

I remember my father killing a rattlesnake on our farm in Texas... stretched out to full length across the tailgate of an old ford truck, both it's head and tail hung off of either end :D

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0