JohnRgt

An Interesting Way To Serve Sherry

11 posts in this topic

With tapas restaurants finally taking root in NY and other US metropolitan areas (this is -- what? -- the third or fourth round of attempts to launch this concept here), sherry has been getting more and more attention. Here are a few videos of an exciting way to serve this fortified wine:

I love the grace. And talk about aeration!

I'll take a good Spanish red over Jerez any day.

There's at least 1 tapas place in Seattle which has long been my favorite restaurant in the Green City. It's called Harvest Vine.

There's at least 1 tapas place in Seattle which has long been my favorite restaurant in the Green City. It's called Harvest Vine.

I've never had a great wine palette. Having said that I've never been big on savory with a notable sweetness.

Harvest Vine has a nice menu. Thanks for the link. (He gets his prices.)

People have been failing at the tapas thing in the US since at least the early '80s. It's been one of those things that defies both common and expert "feel." It seems like current approaches have struck the right balance between turnover, menu variety and income. That, or it took Americans a while longer than expected to warm up to the region's cuisine.

Harvest Vine looks great, Joss. It's odd - I've never even heard of it. I'll have to check it out next time I'm home. Thanks for the suggestion.

Unfortunately Harvest Vine has gone downhill recently. There have been some complaints with the health department -- and somewhat well founded apparently. I would instead try How to Cook a Wolf -- in Queen Anne, near where I live. Despite the name -- a reference to MFK Fisher, an Objectivist chef in fact, it is a great place. And Queen Anne is a nice neighborhood -- lots of kids, pretty homogenous, not filled with a bunch of alternative lifestyle folks as one often finds in Seattle! :-(

Harvest Vine looks great, Joss. It's odd - I've never even heard of it. I'll have to check it out next time I'm home. Thanks for the suggestion.

It's on Madison.

Unfortunately Harvest Vine has gone downhill recently. There have been some complaints with the health department -- and somewhat well founded apparently. I would instead try How to Cook a Wolf -- in Queen Anne, near where I live. Despite the name -- a reference to MFK Fisher, an Objectivist chef in fact, it is a great place. And Queen Anne is a nice neighborhood -- lots of kids, pretty homogenous, not filled with a bunch of alternative lifestyle folks as one often finds in Seattle! :-(

Interesting on Harvest Vine, but for now I give them the benefit of the doubt. We'll see how it goes from there.

"How to Cook a Wolf" is very, very good, but is also small and incredibly crowded. We once went there for dinner early-ish in the evening, and there were still people streaming in around 9:30pm or so and being told there was a 2hr wait. We used to live on QA, I really love it there. I miss the "5 Spot" huevos rancheros like crazy.

It's on Madison.

Interesting on Harvest Vine, but for now I give them the benefit of the doubt. We'll see how it goes from there.

"How to Cook a Wolf" is very, very good, but is also small and incredibly crowded. We once went there for dinner early-ish in the evening, and there were still people streaming in around 9:30pm or so and being told there was a 2hr wait. We used to live on QA, I really love it there. I miss the "5 Spot" huevos rancheros like crazy.

Lots of my foodie friends now refuse to go to Harvest Vine.

You are right about How to Cook a Wolf. But the food is still quite good. I also like that QA is more family friendly and safer. Harvest Vine is near the (actually really in) the Central District -- which is a pretty rough part of Seattle -- and with the downturn in the economy the crime rate over there has started to rise. It is sad. Though maybe the bad economic times will lead some of those people to move out......

BTW, good for you for being the stay at home dad. I know that can be challenging, but it must be quite rewarding too. Though if you are in a new place and your wife is working, it can be a bit alienating and lonely as it is hard to meet people -- though maybe you can meet people through activities with the child? And then of course through your wife and her work.

When I hear someone talk about Sherry, especially when they don't like it, I always wonder if all they have had is the sweet version of Sherry. It is sort of like talking about "French wine" without realizing that there are lots of different kinds. While I don't mind the sweet Sherry, called Oloroso, occasionally, I will drink all the Vino Fino or Amontillado that I can find. Vino Fino is a very light pale wine that is served chilled. It is about as dry a wine that you can find, and has a nice, nutty flavor.

Joss, is this wine what you mean?