Stephen Speicher

Is there a Clocky in your future?

6 posts in this topic

Though not very beautiful to look at in its prototype version, the Clocky is an interesting and unique design by MIT grad student Gauri Nanda. Personally I have no problem waking up, but for those who sleep too late and keep hitting the snooze button on their alarm clock, here is one solution. When the snooze on Clocky is first pressed, the Clocky is automatically set in motion. It rolls off the nightstand and seeks a hiding place within the room, a different hiding place each day. The late sleeper then has to get out of bed to search for the snooze alarm Clocky, presumably waking up in the process of searching.

Clocky has received an enormous amount of internet and press publicity, and recently appeared on the Good Morning America show. You can see Clocky at this MIT Media Lab site, and here is a nice lttle story on Nanda and her Clocky.

Why did they cover it in that hideous 70's style shag carpeting?

I thought the carpet cushioned the fall a bit, it was in the Australian papers too. :P

Why did they cover it in that hideous 70's style shag carpeting?

It's just a prototype, not the final version. The shag is for impact protection. Here is Nanda's explanation of the choice, from the Boston.com newstory I referenced.

Nanda said she dashed off an early prototype for Clocky in three days last November, sheathing her creation in the kind of shag carpet she remembered her parents using to wrap their stereo speakers when she was growing up in Rochester, Mich. ''In the 1970s, they used to cover everything with shag," she said, laughing. Clocky's fuzzy look, Nanda said, ''is supposed to remind you of a troubled pet that you love anyway."

Wow, I want [need] one of those, sometimes I'll hit the snooze button for up to 3 hours.

While she juggles her thesis and her invention, Media Lab officials have formed an intellectual-property committee to study ways to protect Clocky's technology, should Nanda decide to turn the device into a commercial product and a business. There is little doubt she has the entrepreneurial bug.

How do IP rights apply in this case? While the Clocky is a novel idea, it would be (relatively) easy to design and build one.

When the snooze on Clocky is first pressed, the Clocky is automatically set in motion. It rolls off the nightstand and seeks a hiding place within the room, a different hiding place each day. The late sleeper then has to get out of bed to search for the snooze alarm Clocky, presumably waking up in the process of searching.

Wouldnt shotgun blasts in the direction of the alarm be expensive and unsightly?