Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jordanz

"At Moment of Truth, Where Was Dagny Taggart?"

9 posts in this topic

Missing from this meeting was someone willing to play the role of Dagny Taggart, Ayn Rand's heroine in Atlas Shrugged, who saw government incompetence, corruption, and moral bankruptcy all around her and vowed not to join other businesses in capitulating to it. Like Mr. Kovacevich, she would have challenged the need for another government bailout. More than that, she would have challenged the bureaucrats' right to call such a meeting, to make such demands, and most especially to claim the moral high ground by claiming to speak on behalf of the "good of the country."

Read the whole thing - excellent (but very depressing):

http://www.heartland.org/full.html?articleid=23982

What was needed at that meeting was not Dagny Taggart but Nat Taggart.

A long train of government policy mistakes led to the financial crisis, but the capitulation by business leaders to the demands and claims of government officials has turned what could have been a contained and short-term economic problem into a genuine threat to the very survival of capitalism, and with it, of democracy.

Democracy and capitalism are not compatible. Capitalism will not have a chance of survival until individuals begin to recognize the difference.

The Heartland Institute is a strong free market voice. Robert Genetski is a great economist associated with them and should you get the opporunity to hear him speak, take it. His book on economics was out of print last I knew, but it's worth looking for. Brian Wesbury, who's work you will have seen on the editorial pages of the WSJ worked under Genetski at the old Harris Trust in Chicago. Brian later became chief economist for the firm of Griffin, Kubik, Stephens and Thompson in Chicago and them moved on. GKST was a free market oriented, though deeply religiously based, firm.

The Heartland Institute is a strong free market voice.

I see several weaknesses in the Heartland Institutes "voice."

The Heartland Institute

Heartland's mission is to discover, develop, and promote free-market solutions to social and economic problems. Such solutions include parental choice in education, choice and personal responsibility in health care, market-based approaches to environmental protection, privatization of public services, and deregulation in areas where property rights and markets do a better job than government bureaucracies.

(Bold is mine.)

Capitalism is not a solution for social and economic problems, it is a political system that protects man's individual rights. Any organization that even considers the premise that a government bureaucracy can do a better job than free men does not understand capitalism and its proper defense. Consider the following.

The Clemson Institute for the Study of Capitalism

Exploring the Moral Foundations of Capitalism

Founded in the fall of 2005 with a generous grant from the BB&T Charitable Foundation, the Clemson Institute for the Study of Capitalism is dedicated to exploring the moral, legal, constitutional, political and economic foundations of capitalism. The Clemson Institute is particularly devoted to fostering a serious examination of a free society.

(Bold is mine.)

The Heartland Institute has some work to do if it wants to properly defend capitalism and have a "strong voice" when it comes to a 'free market," let alone a free society.

The Acton Institute in Grand Rapids Michigan is another free market, personal responsibility organization with a major premise different from yours. At worst such sources are like the mayor who suggested Dagny get a cheap wedding ring - you may not agree with their premise but sometimes you can get instructive answers; at the best you may find a modicom of commaraderie. It could be a long dark night; I know enough to accept strengths where I find them and avoid the weaknesses. Do you want a perfect society or one in which you are free to go your own way? Because, in my experience, Heartland and Acton will give you that. If you want to wait for the perfect society, good luck.

The Acton Institute in Grand Rapids Michigan is another free market, personal responsibility organization with a major premise different from yours. At worst such sources are like the mayor who suggested Dagny get a cheap wedding ring - you may not agree with their premise but sometimes you can get instructive answers; at the best you may find a modicom of commaraderie. It could be a long dark night; I know enough to accept strengths where I find them and avoid the weaknesses. Do you want a perfect society or one in which you are free to go your own way? Because, in my experience, Heartland and Acton will give you that. If you want to wait for the perfect society, good luck.

(Bold is mine.)

I'm am not waiting around for any "perfect society." I am fighting for my right to my life, liberty and pursuit of happiness and a proper moral defense of capitalism. (Emphasis added.)

As far as I am concerned, the Acton Institute will not and can not do that because their fundamental premises are flat out wrong.

Acton Institute Core Principles

Integrating Judeo-Christian Truths with Free Market Principles

You can not integrate Judeo-Christian Truths with Free Market Principles. :blink:

You can not integrate Judeo-Christian Truths with Free Market Principles. :blink:

Here is a perfect example.

Dignity of the Person - The human person, created in the image of God, is individually unique, rational, the subject of moral agency, and a co-creator. Accordingly, he possesses intrinsic value and dignity, implying certain rights and duties both for himself and other persons. These truths about the dignity of the human person are known through revelation, but they are also discernible through reason.
(Bold is mine.)

I am done with such non-sense.

(Bold is mine.)

I'm am not waiting around for any "perfect society." I am fighting for my right to my life, liberty and pursuit of happiness and a proper moral defense of capitalism. (Emphasis added.)

As far as I am concerned, the Acton Institute will not and can not do that because their fundamental premises are flat out wrong.

Acton Institute Core Principles

Integrating Judeo-Christian Truths with Free Market Principles

AS far as I know - and I accept the limitations of what I know - Father Sirico is a firm believer in leaving the things to this world what are this world's and the things that are God's to God. He would not advocate the use of the police power of the state to make you do anything. He would, if you wanted to listen, try to persuade you to an individual life based on certain principles. If you think Judeo Christian "Truths" are incompatible with free market principles, then you do.

All I'm saying is there is a lot of good in terms of what Objectivists believe in places other than Objective hot spots and it's a comfort to visit them. They are in some regards allies; not ones own culture, but respectful of it. We have mutual interests.

The Marxists are on the verge of taking control of the US Government, away from the neo-Marxists who have held it.

As I said, it could be a long. cold night.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0