Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cometmaker

Great all-in-one things

4 posts in this topic

The rose apple has flowers and fruit that smell like roses, the urn-shaped fruit are delicious raw or processed, it yields a honey with a rose scent and the wood is excellent for all types of woodworking. It is easy to grow in an American greenhouse. The fruit shape reminds me of quince and the leaf morphology is reminiscent of screwpine, but the plant is much more useful and beautiful than either.

Make magazine is my favourite all-in-one handyperson publication because you can get great and nonsensical things to do.

I've never had a rose apple but they sound delicious.

Make is a fun little magazine, though I haven't had the time to construct any projects from it yet.

I've never had a rose apple but they sound delicious.

Make is a fun little magazine, though I haven't had the time to construct any projects from it yet.

Never had rose apples, but that reminds of the time I had a Grapple . It's an apple that tastes and smells like grapes.

http://www.grapplefruits.com/

cfdesign 10 is software true to Blue Ridge Numerics' slogan: CFD is a tool, not a career.

There are three especially jolly aspects. I cannot understate the importance of the ability to generate Rules on Parts through a filtering process that inspects a CAD part's filename to automate assigning a material definition. Although previous versions provided the typical animation of one analysis per window, the ability to review the different results (and of simulation calculations as they proceed rather than only once complete) in 4 different views (and pan, rotate, zoom or manipulate each at will) results in better and faster understanding and decision-making for the user or when the user is presenting the results to others. The recent changes are extensive - even further meshing shortcuts than v. 9, automatic exterior volume creation, a handy results visualization panel compared to the unwieldy former "feature tree" presentation - and the result is that extensive flow and thermal design studies or iterations are done in a fraction of the time it would take an expert with some other application.

This is a great all-in-one thing because it is designed so well and has such flexible fun uses. There are not as many fun uses as Mathematica which was precocious from v. 1.0, but Mathematica doesn't have to interface with multiple CAD applications, either. The time saved by using cfdesign can be used to simulate optimized aromatic plant placements within a greenhouse as they grow, and even design changes to a greenhouse! If you specify the year, time of day and location on Earth or provide your lat-long, you can even study scents mingling under solar EM radiation and ensure the shadows cast by the plants are just the way you like them through any given day!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0