Ifat Glassman

My Salsa show

48 posts in this topic

This is a salsa show of 3 girls (one of them is me (purple shirt)). It was a final test in a salsa course me and the other girls in the video took.

I did the choreography (almost all of it). [unfortunately, we needed to downgrade the level of the dance a bit due to one of the girls (and yes, it does tick me off somewhat)].

Here it is on youTube:

(best to watch in high quality (small link below the location of the player))

Ifat

This is a salsa show of 3 girls (one of them is me (purple shirt)). It was a final test in a salsa course me and the other girls in the video took.

I did the choreography (almost all of it). [unfortunately, we needed to downgrade the level of the dance a bit due to one of the girls (and yes, it does tick me off somewhat)].

Hey, Ifat, nice routine! Did you do a staged performance of this? Very nice.

Hey, Ifat, nice routine! Did you do a staged performance of this? Very nice.

I guess you could call it a stage performance. We were performing in front of the other students of the course and some visitors who came to watch. It was part of an academic course. We had to compose and perform as the final test for the course. The three of us did not have a partner (a male-partner that is) so we performed together. It was fun overall (I especially enjoyed composing the moves).

Very nice! Makes me want to learn to dance. :blink:

Then you should definitely go for it. But better check if you like the music first. (BTW, you're not doing this to get girls, are you?).

Another thing: This show is not exactly characteristic of salsa. Salsa is usually done in couples, not individuals.

Looks like Salsa is pretty common in the USA, should be easy to find a dance club nearby that gives lessons.

Anyone here dances as a hobby?

Then you should definitely go for it. But better check if you like the music first.

The only musical style that I don't like (vs. disliking individual pieces within a style) is opera.

(BTW, you're not doing this to get girls, are you?).

Nope. I've pretty much stopped doing that. Doubt it would help anyway.

Here it is on youTube:

Ifat

That's great, Ifat. You have some very fluid moves!

Lovely to look at, you move so well. I like the music too. (Non of the DOOF DOOF stuff). Thank you.

Hey, a very sexy, laid back dance routine. Well done!

I did the choreography (almost all of it).

Nice! I do choreography myself and there were several things I liked about your dance especially the symmetrical relationship between the girls and how well the moves were integrated with the music. In particular, I liked your performance: how well all your movements -- arms, legs, face, posture -- were so well integrated and how purposely fluid your moves were.

Here it is on youTube:

Ifat

As someone who's done a fair bit of partying and who loves dancing (informally) whenever possible, I loved that on two levels. It was both sexy and stylized. Great one! Thanks.

Your own dancing was very good. You must have been dancing from an early age. Am I right?

Nice show!

I've done ballroom dance for 3.5 years. This week I was out 6 nights. Yeah, I kinda like it.

BTW, what's wrong with doing it to meet girls? :blink:

Geez, with all these replies, I almost feel like I've just had a baby :blink:

Thanks for all the compliments, it's a good payment ;) .

As someone who's done a fair bit of partying and who loves dancing (informally) whenever possible, I loved that on two levels. It was both sexy and stylized. Great one! Thanks.

Your own dancing was very good. You must have been dancing from an early age. Am I right?

I was dancing Jazz for 6 years, started at age 12. I've been dancing Salsa for about a year, on and off.

Nice show!
I've done ballroom dance for 3.5 years. This week I was out 6 nights. Yeah, I kinda like it.

BTW, what's wrong with doing it to meet girls? :D

Wow, 6 nights a week. You must be something to look at (after 3.5 years of ballroom dancing). Why did you start? :)

As for the question, I hate looking at people who go dancing to meet girls. Because it shows on their moves. They don't have the passion for it, and as a result it looks like a robot. So mainly because it looks ugly. IMO, either dance because you have the passion for it, because you enjoy expressing yourself, enjoy the music, but if passion/enjoyment (from the dancing itself) is not included, better just not do it at all and pursue your real purpose without the dancing part.

I did the choreography (almost all of it).

Nice! I do choreography myself and there were several things I liked about your dance especially the symmetrical relationship between the girls and how well the moves were integrated with the music. In particular, I liked your performance: how well all your movements -- arms, legs, face, posture -- were so well integrated and how purposely fluid your moves were.

Thanks, Betsy. :blink: I'm curious about you doing choreography. What kind of dance? How did you come to doing it? Since when? Is there anything you choreographed that I can see (like a video online or something)?

Wow, 6 nights a week. You must be something to look at (after 3.5 years of ballroom dancing). Why did you start? ;)

As for the question, I hate looking at people who go dancing to meet girls. Because it shows on their moves. They don't have the passion for it, and as a result it looks like a robot. So mainly because it looks ugly. IMO, either dance because you have the passion for it, because you enjoy expressing yourself, enjoy the music, but if passion/enjoyment (from the dancing itself) is not included, better just not do it at all and pursue your real purpose without the dancing part.

I got into dancing after meeting a girl at a wedding who was into dancing. Things didn't work out with her, but they did with dancing. And, yes, I am a hell of thing to look at (and dance with!).

It's a false alternative to choose between dancing as art/entertainment/hobby/whatever and as a means of meeting new people. Both work well together.

Some people try the shortcut of trying to meet others through dancing without caring at all about the dancing. Even that's ok, as long as they are honest about it. But the only problem I see is someone pretending to be into dancing in order to meet dancers, and that's the same problem with most instances of dishonesty and all of its moral and practical implications. The bad dancing shows, and it turns off girls who actually care about dancing.

I always encourage people to get into dancing. It's changed my life dramatically and can do the same for them. I do get frustrated, though, with some things I see when I'm dancing socially:

1. Guys who can't dance that well attempting to show a far superior female dancer "the right way to dance." :blink:

2. Guys who can't lead well cutting me off when I'm trying to dance. (Guys, floorcraft is an important skill.) These guys will block traffic, ram their partners into other people, and just in general be very inconsiderate. (Stop staring at her for 2 seconds to see where other dancers are around you.)

There is something to what you said, but what bothered me about your comment to piz is the suggestion that he not do this as a means of getting girls. I would tell any guy that as long as you are honest about your intentions, by all means pursue hobbies/interests with the associated goal of meeting girls. That's how I started dancing. And really, if there weren't girls to dance with, I think I would lose interest. They can be really great! :)

I should add to my last post that if a guy is new to dancing, he's usually intimidated about asking a girl to dance. I sure was. But just say: "Hi, I'm new to dancing but would like to try it. Would you like to dance?" Then do whatever basic steps you know. Most girls are happy that you show an interest at all in dancing, and will be more than happy to dance with you. You won't be the best partner she's ever had at that point, but big deal. You'll get better, and she will be happy to keep dancing with you as you improve.

Dancing is so much fun, I just hate to think that someone won't get out there and try. With a good instructor and good people to dance with, you'll look forward to dancing as often as you can.

There is something to what you said, but what bothered me about your comment to piz is the suggestion that he not do this as a means of getting girls. I would tell any guy that as long as you are honest about your intentions, by all means pursue hobbies/interests with the associated goal of meeting girls.

Sure, honesty is the first thing a guy who looks for an excuse to get close to a girl will do. "Hey, I'm not here for dancing really. In fact, I don't enjoy dancing, but it's a great excuse to get close to you, without openly declaring that this is what I'm after. So what do you say we hit the dance floor?" If not this, then what do you mean by honesty?

I don't really care why someone starts dancing. But if they don't enjoy dancing, they should not continue to do it just to get girls. If they're not confident enough to hit on a girl without the veil of asking her "just for a dance", better work on that issue.

Dancing is so much fun, I just hate to think that someone won't get out there and try.

I totally agree.

Here it is on youTube:

Ifat

Thank-you for sharing that, Ifat! I hope you won't mind my saying that you really do move beatifully.

Thank-you for sharing that, Ifat! I hope you won't mind my saying that you really do move beatifully.

Mind it? why do you think I put this video? :blink: I love compliments. It's fun to be appreciated for something you do well, by people you think highly of. So thank you too.

I'm going to put another video from my Salsa beginners course. It's the same thing: we had to compose and perform as the final test. This time it's a dance in a couple:

I'm going to put another video from my Salsa beginners course. It's the same thing: we had to compose and perform as the final test. This time it's a dance in a couple:

Very nice clip. Keep 'em coming. :blink:

This time it's a dance in a couple:
This one I like even more.

Here it is on youTube:

Ifat

I must say that you indeed look, and move very beautiful. Congratulations on mastering it, and I look forward to more clips of you in future, thank you for posting it. :blink:

This time it's a dance in a couple:
This one I like even more.

Yeah, I like it more too. :blink: Kind of annoying, I was working a lot harder on the other routine.

Notice though how there is zero connection between the music and the dance in this one? My partner simply could not sense the rhythm at all. Eventually, after several hours of trying to dance to the rhythm, I started to train myself to dance while ignoring the music (pretty funny ha?). This was the only way I could let him lead me. Otherwise, I would constantly resist being moved or move him myself to try to get us into the rhythm. See? This is what happens when you go dancing just to get girls.

BTW, regarding that topic... Just something I thought of after my last post on the subject, is that I don't think that honesty means that someone has an obligation to declare his/her intentions. There is no lie involved in having a secrete goal, like going dancing to meet girls.

But if a man wants to be in 100% self-expression, living exactly as who he is, never hiding, always going for what he wants without shame or disguise, then putting himself through some boring, non-enjoyable routine just to secretly try to achieve X is not the right thing to do.

A self-confident man does things that he enjoys, and acts as who he is. If he is after a girl, he does not try to hide it from her <-- Sexy.

A man without self confidence is willing to put himself through hours of non-enjoyable activity so that he can secretly try to get what he is afraid to pursue openly <-- Lame.

If you call it dishonest or not is a different question, one which is much harder for me to answer, and better be left for some other thread anyway.