Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
free spirit

Chef Gordon Ramsay

38 posts in this topic

You're welcome Scott. ^_^

If you have Bravo, I highly recommend the much-higher-quality Top Chef show, which I hardly ever missed when I was in the States. I also used to almost-religiously watch Bravo's Project Runway, which is a competition for fashion designers.

Bravo use clean, essentialized formats for their shows, delivered with great production values. Apart from the expertise of the chefs on Top Chef and the designers on Project Runway, there are also the two beauties who host the shows: models Padma Lakshmi and Heidi Klum. What's there not to like? ^_^

I watched a few episodes of Project Runway one weekend a while back. I enjoyed watching expertise at work, and it's always gratifying seeing someone's great work rewarded. However I really don't care for the whole reality show competition theme, and just like with Gordon Ramsay's stuff they seem to look for and exploit drama.

You know who I prefer in the problem-solving genre of shows is Cesar Millan in Dog Whisperer. He's a great example of someone who is exceptional in his field and extremely productive with his clients, and he does it while being highly professional. No gimmicks needed, just results.

Unfortunately, a good part the attitude Ramsey displays on his shows (aka Kitchen Queen Syndrome) is still fairly common in the food industry. It's part act, part an attempt to embarrass "squeakers" (corner-cutters), part an attempt to weed out people that can't take the heat, part reaction to the fact that most customers don't complain about kitchen mistakes -- they just don't come back and tell their friends to stay away.

BTW: IMHO, Ramsey's cuisine didn't deserve the accolades it got before his shows. Post-shows, his places are more theme restaurants than industry flagships. However, he's always known how to open cuisine-driven restaurants that make a profit, which is an incredibly difficult thing to do. (Don't be fooled by the exorbitant prices of well-known, high-end restaurants. Almost all of them barely break even on the food bill. Unless you order a good bottle of wine or 2 or 3 drinks per person, the house will have almost no profit to show for your visit.)

You know who I prefer in the problem-solving genre of shows is Cesar Millan in Dog Whisperer. He's a great example of someone who is exceptional in his field and extremely productive with his clients, and he does it while being highly professional. No gimmicks needed, just results.

If he got Cartman to behave he must be good!

From the episodes I've seen I really don't think it is an act or a gimmick on Ramsay's part, I think the case is that he is an extremely open and honest person and he just happens to swear a lot.

From the episodes I've seen I really don't think it is an act or a gimmick on Ramsay's part, I think the case is that he is an extremely open and honest person and he just happens to swear a lot.

Ramsay doesn't strike me as someone who "just happens" to do anything, which is one of the things I liked about watching him. His behavior is always deliberate. I think he has praiseworthy virtues, but his poor judgment in the way he talks to people isn't one of them. Ayn Rand never resorted to profanities, and not only did she have far more abstract ideas to communicate but she did so to save a culture, not a restaurant. If, given all that was at stake and all she understood, she could channel her anger into constructive language, so can a television chef. I wouldn't expect him to match her eloquence, but English is a rich language even if you take out the obscenities. Again that's not to diminish his virtues, but I see no reason to excuse the way he talks to people.

That is, if it really isn't a gimmick. But glancing at the clips on YouTube, it's clear that people are most attracted to his shouting and insults, so I wouldn't be surprised if the shows encourage him to play it up.

It's an act in the sense that he wouldn't think of acting this way in almost any other industry. This is the environment he grew up in, so this is his approach to resolving specific issues with subordinates. I don't think he means too much by "it", though. The few times I've heard him criticize someone's core he's done it in a relatively calm tone. (Example: In one episode I saw, he looked into the eyes of a lost owner, and with a steady voice said something like, "In all these years in this industry, I have never, ever met anyone who I believe in less than you.")

I just watched most of the Kitchen Nightmares episode that focussed on a bistro called Hannah & Manson's.

I have to say that Ramsay showed remarkable restraint. If I were the one that went through that refrigerator and saw things like cooked chicken being stored in a bucket of raw chicken, I would've grabbed the two disgraces that owned the "business" by the hair and smacked their heads into each other so hard, stars would pour out of their eyes and ears. (These two didn't deserve to be rescued.) He also seemed calmer than he was last season.

If you have Bravo, I highly recommend the much-higher-quality Top Chef show, which I hardly ever missed when I was in the States. I also used to almost-religiously watch Bravo's Project Runway, which is a competition for fashion designers.

Bravo use clean, essentialized formats for their shows, delivered with great production values. Apart from the expertise of the chefs on Top Chef and the designers on Project Runway, there are also the two beauties who host the shows: models Padma Lakshmi and Heidi Klum. What's there not to like? ^_^

[...] ...and just like with Gordon Ramsay's stuff they seem to look for and exploit drama.

[...]

I don't know whether you saw new or old episodes, but I don't recall the personal drama being significant. But, maybe that's just me.

I vote Chef Gordon Ramsay as among The Good.
I think the part of him which is seen on "Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares" (UK version) is The Spectacular. He doesn't treat everyone abrasively, as you can see when he is a (quite entertaining) talk show guest. His cursing is a tool he uses, along with his abrasiveness, to snap people out of their doldroms. These people call him because they're failing, and the most common reason is because they get lost in a routine of slipshod work. He's there to save these restaurants, not to coddle them or to show respect where it isn't (yet) deserved. If my business were in the (I almost used a Ramsay-ism here :wacko:)... failing category, I would want him to mix me and my staff up to curtail the bad habits immediately. Sometimes people need someone to yell at them, and I take it as a sign that he won't allow "good manners" to get in the way of the job getting done right. The Gordon Ramsay shown in "Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares" is the archetypal successful person -- the type of man who would succeed in almost any career (well, so long as he didn't interface directly with customers :P). It's a passion rarely seen in real life, and even less on television. He inspires me to be better in my own career every time I watch the show. Three cheers for Gordon!

Sorry! I forgot to mention something.

His shows are:

1) Kitchen Nightmares

2)Hell's Kitchen

You missed one. I love to watch on BBC America (sorry to those who don't get it!) a show he has titled The F Word. The best way I can describe it is as a cooking variety show. Sometimes he'll have a "cook-off" with a challenger who's "called him out" on a particular dish. Sometimes he'll share one of his recipes. He's also very fond of approaching celebrities who are dining in his restaurant and getting them to try and cook a dish with him. It's very eclectic, very fun, and always Ramsey.

Haha, thanks for that! When I posted this thread, I was ignorant of that show... now I own both the series :wacko:

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0