Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bborg

Michael Crichton

16 posts in this topic

Michael Crichton, author of Jurassic Park, State of Fear and many others, has died of cancer at 66. I wanted to post this in The Good because his work was a personal value to me growing up. Entering high school, his books are what got me excited about ideas. His “techno-thrillers” were often malevolent, variations of the story of Icarus flying too close to the sun. But what I took from them was a genuine admiration for what man is capable of, and in his books man was capable of astounding things. I was not much of a reader before, but devoured everything I could find by Crichton.

It’s funny, my dad had read Rising Sun and would not let me read it, because it had sexual content. I was 13 or 14 at the time. But I ended up reading A Case of Need (about abortion) and Disclosure (sexual harassment) without my parents realizing what they were about. It wasn’t because of what they were about, it was because they were written by him. I suppose there was some hero worship there. I remember long afternoons in my room reading Congo or Sphere with the radio on in the background.

I also greatly admire him for his work against environmentalism, and his book State of Fear. I had not read his books for a long time, so I was very pleased to be able to enjoy his writing again. I started to develop my independence in part because of his work, and revisiting it was like spending time with an old friend.

So I can say that, at least for my part, the world is better because he existed. Thanks, Dr. Crichton.

Michael Crichton, author of Jurassic Park, State of Fear and many others, has died of cancer at 66. I wanted to post this in The Good because his work was a personal value to me growing up. Entering high school, his books are what got me excited about ideas. His “techno-thrillers” were often malevolent, variations of the story of Icarus flying too close to the sun. But what I took from them was a genuine admiration for what man is capable of, and in his books man was capable of astounding things. I was not much of a reader before, but devoured everything I could find by Crichton.

It’s funny, my dad had read Rising Sun and would not let me read it, because it had sexual content. I was 13 or 14 at the time. But I ended up reading A Case of Need (about abortion) and Disclosure (sexual harassment) without my parents realizing what they were about. It wasn’t because of what they were about, it was because they were written by him. I suppose there was some hero worship there. I remember long afternoons in my room reading Congo or Sphere with the radio on in the background.

I also greatly admire him for his work against environmentalism, and his book State of Fear. I had not read his books for a long time, so I was very pleased to be able to enjoy his writing again. I started to develop my independence in part because of his work, and revisiting it was like spending time with an old friend.

So I can say that, at least for my part, the world is better because he existed. Thanks, Dr. Crichton.

Sad news indeed.

michael-crichton-3.jpg

Thanks for your nice tribute. This is very, very sad news, indeed. Dr. Crichton was an outstanding writer. The Andromeda Strain was the first thing I'd read that got me excited about dramatizing problem solving in science -- and, man, what a ride! He deserved to live longer and in a more rational world. I thank him for allowing me to share his brilliant mind.

Objectivists should read his speaches, that can be found on his site. They are inspiring in their clarity and fearless leadership.

Very sad news. Not only a very entertaining writer, but a strong advocate for reason with regard to the environmental movement.

Link to item

That's ironic; I was just writing an obit and saw bborg's. Crichton was is most notably famous for Andromeda Strain, Jurassic Park, and the TV show ER, but his State of Fear was, as bborg says, a courageous book. In it, he showed integrity in taking the honest, but very unpopular stance that Global Warming is just a political attack on modern civilization and its technological advances. He was prolific and his output was generally of very high quality and made people think.

Though the apparent message in Jurassic Park was that men tampering with Mother Nature is always a disaster, he certainly better than redeemed himself on that score with State of Fear. Like the others posting here, I greatly admired Crichton and am very sad to hear of such a loss. And I am gratified to read in the Yahoo article above that he turned all of this prolific, substantial output into a great financial success. It's inspiring to see what talent can do.

A very nice tribute, bborg.

Thank you. And to everyone who added their comments. I was actually a little upset by the news, even though he's not someone I could say I've ever met or corresponded with. I'm glad others appreciated his books as I did.

Oh, and Andromeda Strain was a great one. ^_^

Thank you. And to everyone who added their comments. I was actually a little upset by the news, even though he's not someone I could say I've ever met or corresponded with. I'm glad others appreciated his books as I did.

Oh, and Andromeda Strain was a great one. ^_^

Have you seen his excellent movie, Westworld? I saw it in the UK in 1994 on a quiet Saturday night. Having seen the smash hit Jurassic Park the year before, it was fascinating to know he had directed this as far back as 1973.

I first read about him in TIME magazine in 1991 or thereabouts (I still remember where I was standing in the dining room when I read the article). His polymath bio was fascinating, and I remember wondering how he had been able to accomplish so much.

Have you seen his excellent movie, Westworld? I saw it in the UK in 1994 on a quiet Saturday night. Having seen the smash hit Jurassic Park the year before, it was fascinating to know he had directed this as far back as 1973.

I first read about him in TIME magazine in 1991 or thereabouts (I still remember where I was standing in the dining room when I read the article). His polymath bio was fascinating, and I remember wondering how he had been able to accomplish so much.

No, I actually haven't seen it. I'll have to check it out!

I loved Michael Crichton's books growing up. Books like Jurassic Park, Congo, Terminal Man, Andromeda Strain... I ate them all up. I might have issues with some of the themes in them now, but they made science pretty cool.

I read State of Fear last year and liked it a lot, but I loved how he explained how he became such a skeptic of environmentalism. If I remember right, he knew very little about it, so he spent a couple years doing his own research into it. And his final conclusion was that it made no sense. He was an honest man.

I got this text message from my son: "Michael Crichton died the other day. But don't worry - a mosquito bit him last week and we captured it."

I think Dr. Crichton would have chuckled at that. ^_^

I got this text message from my son: "Michael Crichton died the other day. But don't worry - a mosquito bit him last week and we captured it."

Bravo. That put a nice smile on my face ^_^

Have you seen his excellent movie, Westworld?

Watched it last night, and enjoyed it! It gives you the same sense of awe (and fear) of science that would dominate much of his work. The gunslinger actually reminded me a bit of an early Terminator.

But, is it just me or is there something creepy about the idea of sleeping with a robot and possibly having staff observers supervising "her" behavior?

^_^

Have you seen his excellent movie, Westworld?

Watched it last night, and enjoyed it! It gives you the same sense of awe (and fear) of science that would dominate much of his work. The gunslinger actually reminded me a bit of an early Terminator.

The gunslinger remind me of an early Terminator too! And a few other elements of the story reminded me of Jurassic Park, particularly the theme-park/controlled-environment context.

But, is it just me or is there something creepy about the idea of sleeping with a robot and possibly having staff observers supervising "her" behavior?

^_^

I don't remember that part too well. Its significance must have gone over my head, perhaps because of my intellectual/sexual immaturity at the time. That does sound creepy.

The gunslinger remind me of an early Terminator too! And a few other elements of the story reminded me of Jurassic Park, particularly the theme-park/controlled-environment context.

"[R]eminded!"

I really should re-read several times before posting. ^_^

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0