PaperDetective

Mandatory Community Service = America now fascist & Fuehrer is Obama

87 posts in this topic

There is always some form of pain involved when someone fights to gain or regain their freedom. It is what is on the other side that makes the pain worth enduring.

You won't get it that way. They are bullies who will make sure they bring enough power to destroy you once it comes to that. Meanwhile they impose their will by nameless bureaucrats in a distant city.

There is always some form of pain involved when someone fights to gain or regain their freedom. It is what is on the other side that makes the pain worth enduring.

You won't get it that way. They are bullies who will make sure they bring enough power to destroy you once it comes to that. Meanwhile they impose their will by nameless bureaucrats in a distant city.

I understand that and that is why at this point I do not mean physical pain as would happen in a battle. But a battle of some sort will have to be waged as these tyrants are not going to give any freedoms back, even when their ideas are proven wrong.

I understand that and that is why at this point I do not mean physical pain as would happen in a battle. But a battle of some sort will have to be waged as these tyrants are not going to give any freedoms back, even when their ideas are proven wrong.

Tyrant does seem like the right word about now. We are descending into the arbitrary rule of the administrative state.

From Thomas Gordan in Cato's Letters (No. 33):

"People are ruined by their ignorance of human nature; which ignorance leads them to credulity, and too great a confidence in particular men. They fondly imagine that he, who, possessing a great deal by their favour, owes them great gratitude, and all good offices, will therefore return their kindness: But, alas! how often are they mistaken in their favourites and trustees; who, the more they have given them, are often the more incited to take all, and to return destruction for generous usage. The common people generally think that great men have great minds, and scorn base actions; which judgment is so false, that the basest and worst of all actions have been done by great men: Perhaps they have not picked private pockets, but they have done worse; they have often disturbed, deceived, and pillaged the world: And he who is capable of the highest mischief, is capable of the meanest: He who plunders a country of a million of money, would in suitable circumstances steal a silver spoon; and a conqueror, who steals and pillages a kingdom, would, in an humbler fortune, rifle a portmanteau, or rob an orchard. "

Tyrant does seem like the right word about now. We are descending into the arbitrary rule of the administrative state.

From Thomas Gordan in Cato's Letters (No. 33):

"People are ruined by their ignorance of human nature; which ignorance leads them to credulity, and too great a confidence in particular men. They fondly imagine that he, who, possessing a great deal by their favour, owes them great gratitude, and all good offices, will therefore return their kindness: But, alas! how often are they mistaken in their favourites and trustees; who, the more they have given them, are often the more incited to take all, and to return destruction for generous usage. The common people generally think that great men have great minds, and scorn base actions; which judgment is so false, that the basest and worst of all actions have been done by great men: Perhaps they have not picked private pockets, but they have done worse; they have often disturbed, deceived, and pillaged the world: And he who is capable of the highest mischief, is capable of the meanest: He who plunders a country of a million of money, would in suitable circumstances steal a silver spoon; and a conqueror, who steals and pillages a kingdom, would, in an humbler fortune, rifle a portmanteau, or rob an orchard. "

A wonderful quotation. And apt.

I just received a corporate invitation for "National Day of Service" on MLK day.

As a company policy, I cannot post the actual memo or the registration site, so you'll have to just take me on my word.

One choice for employees is to help organize for Corporate Accountability.

Today it's voluntary, but if your company gets on the Government hit list like Microsoft in the 90's, it might become mandatory to serve or forget that yearly raise, or worse find someplace else to work.

On episode 44 of the Peikoff podcast, a similar issue was raised about the morality of a company going/promoting green. I think advocating altruism or working with an organization that's anti business or against the building of nuclear bombs for the U.S. falls under the same category.

I just received a corporate invitation for "National Day of Service" on MLK day.

As a company policy, I cannot post the actual memo or the registration site, so you'll have to just take me on my word.

One choice for employees is to help organize for Corporate Accountability.

Today it's voluntary, but if your company gets on the Government hit list like Microsoft in the 90's, it might become mandatory to serve or forget that yearly raise, or worse find someplace else to work.

On episode 44 of the Peikoff podcast, a similar issue was raised about the morality of a company going/promoting green. I think advocating altruism or working with an organization that's anti business or against the building of nuclear bombs for the U.S. falls under the same category.

I agree that both are immoral. It's appalling that a company would encourage its employees to organize against its own interests:

Corporate Accountability International has been waging winning campaigns to challenge corporate abuse for more than 30 years. We were there at the beginning of this movement to demand direct corporate accountability to public interests and have been at its forefront ever since.

They are saying that private interests as such constitute "abuse". There is nothing moral about supporting this either through action or moral sanction whether voluntary or not. It's reprehensible that your company is encouraging it. This should be politely pointed out to your company management, which has either allowed itself to become morally intimidated or doesn't deserve to exist.

Waiting for your good ideas to 'germinate' into other people's minds is not a time you always will have. neither did Ayn Rand, so she fled Russia.

Neither did many rational people left in pre-Nazi Europe, so they fled the Nazis.

Fleeing, a retreat, is no defeat of one's ideas. One lost battle is no loss of a war.

Letting oneself be destroyed in an unwinable battle is. Then it is not evil that wins, but you who left reason behind. I'm not suicidal though.

Fleeing WAS an option, when there was some place better to flee TO. However, now that America is falling down to the depths of government depravity, where would we flee to? We can stay and fight, or we can flee and fight somewhere else. Or we can accept the slavery and live in bondage, reminiscing about the good old days. And since the citizens don't have access to nuclear weapons, there is literally no hope of overthrowing a dictatorship--especially one that has a mandate to rule by the people who voted him in.

Only hope is that O makes some serious mistakes and falls afoul of the laws and gets impeached and then imprisoned. But I doubt that is going to happen. I hope I'm wrong about that!

Fleeing WAS an option, when there was some place better to flee TO. However, now that America is falling down to the depths of government depravity, where would we flee to? We can stay and fight, or we can flee and fight somewhere else. Or we can accept the slavery and live in bondage, reminiscing about the good old days. And since the citizens don't have access to nuclear weapons, there is literally no hope of overthrowing a dictatorship--especially one that has a mandate to rule by the people who voted him in.

Only hope is that O makes some serious mistakes and falls afoul of the laws and gets impeached and then imprisoned. But I doubt that is going to happen. I hope I'm wrong about that!

I agree that we do not have access to nuclear weapons, but we do not need them. In a slightly different context, one of the reasons that our enemies do not fear us is because we have an immense collection of weapons that can create mass destruction and we have not used a single one since WWII. What makes people think we have to worry about a goverment using nuclear weapons on it's own citizens when they will not push the button on our worst enemies?

What makes people think we have to worry about a goverment using nuclear weapons on it's own citizens when they will not push the button on our worst enemies?

For the same reason that it won't attack our worst enemies? ;)

But "nuclear weapons" have little to do with this. The government is already using as much force as it needs to crush innocent private citizens under ambiguous, sweeping bureaucratic controls which are becoming progressively worse.

In colonial times, the settlers had musket rifles and the British troops had musket rifles. We had a really good chance at fighting back against our oppressors. Today, our government has a vast variety of automatic weapons, smart bombs, aircraft, specially-trained SWAT teams, etc, to deal with citizens who either won't or can't, for whatever reason, comply with certain government laws.

Another problem is the people are not united. When government chooses to attack an individual or a small group of citizens, the other locals simply assume 'well he broke the law and it getting what's coming to him', but in reality, they've been indoctrinated by the schools, and lied to by the media.

Many individuals have met an early demise at the hands of armed government henchmen.

At this point, I don't think the citizen has a chance of fighting back this move toward oppressive dictatorship. We'll have our own Tienneman Square-style showdowns, but since there is no one left in the world community to castigate the US for maltreatment of citizens, there will be no presure on the US to stop these monstrous violations of human rights.

Our ONLY chance is via a philosophical revolution, but how much of a chance do we have in the face of a Niagara Falls of stupidity in ideas?

Our ONLY chance is via a philosophical revolution, but how much of a chance do we have in the face of a Niagara Falls of stupidity in ideas?

A philosophical revolution was started about 200 years ago and we are living through the negative effects of that philosophy. I am not stating that we should wait 200 years to enjoy the effects of a rational philosophy/Objectivism. We can do things to enhance our lives now and to change the predominant philosophy of our culture. It will not be an overnight success nor will it be easy, but the other option is die enslaved and unhappy. I would offer that you stop wasting your time discussing ideas with irrational people, such as the one's you mentioned, and talk to more rational people that are at least willing to think about ideas or rethink their ideas.