Betsy Speicher

There Will Be Blood (2007)

Rate this movie   6 votes

1. 1. Artistic Merit

2. 2. Sense of Life or Personal Value

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 posts in this topic

I liked this movie for about the first ten minutes, when it showed how the main character basically stared his oil business by digging his first well, all by himself out in the middle of nowhere (if I remember correctly, it's been a while). I think there was another scene early when the main character gave up trying to deal with a group of people who would not make decisions, which I kinda liked. It seemed to go downhill fast from there, and the main character turned into a huge second-hander and a villain who lied, killed, and stole from others. Seeing what he turned into in the final few scenes were pretty hard to watch.

I liked this movie for about the first ten minutes, when it showed how the main character basically stared his oil business by digging his first well, all by himself out in the middle of nowhere (if I remember correctly, it's been a while). I think there was another scene early when the main character gave up trying to deal with a group of people who would not make decisions, which I kinda liked. It seemed to go downhill fast from there, and the main character turned into a huge second-hander and a villain who lied, killed, and stole from others. Seeing what he turned into in the final few scenes were pretty hard to watch.

I second this opinion. By the way, this movie was based on the novel Oil by Upton Sinclair. Sinclair is the author of The Jungle a perennial anti-industrial novel. Too bad I didn't know this until I read it the credits.

I actually went to see this movie at the movies on Oscar night. And I was so captivated by Daniel Day Lewis's performance that I had to leave a little short of half way to catch the Oscars, but I also left because I couldn't stand the hysteria of the religionists ...

Then I rented it on DVD. Yes, I was disappointed by what the Oil man had become. However, he was consistent. And the villain was clearly the religious zealot. So if one abstracts away enough, and focuses on the conflict between the Oil man and the zealot, then one can appreciate the end.

What's his terminology for how he stole the oil? That was a dramatically beautiful scene. I love it very much. It seemed to fulfill a logical sequence of events.

The movie was good art. One accepts it, knowing fully that one cannot escape hating who the Oil man turns out to be, but one can enjoy it as art. I never read the book though.

For example, I loved Victor Hugo's Torquemada, which was better art, for the scene in the gave with the Hermit, AND of course the ending when we discover the fate of the lovers.