Stephen Speicher

The Sound of Music (1965)

Rate this movie   28 votes

1. 1. Rate this movie

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

16 posts in this topic

Glorious, glorious, glorious!!!

Julie Andrews' voice is so amazing it is sometimes unbelievable. The songs & lyrics are absolute perfection from Rodgers & Hammerstein. The story & characters are constructed to perfection.

So many great songs...I gave it a 10, but only because there isn't an 11!

There are spoilers about this movie in this post.

I watched the movie in its entirety just a month ago, and it was great. When watching the special 40th anniversary edition it comes with a second disk, full of information about the family. I went through the whole second disk and can say that I am glad that they did not stay true to Julies Andrews character or the rest of the family.

Watching the movie then the documentary made me want to go back and see the happiness of the movie again. It sometimes amazes me how good screenwriters can draw out the goodness from such harshness. I am glad they did though and like Christopher I think the songs and cheerfullness of the movie are great.

I also loved the part towards the end when the event producer/coordinator had the courage to stand tall when the Von Trapp Family sang their last song.

The Sound of Music is one of my favorite films. The entire spirit of the film is glorious. There are characters to truly admire and enjoy, a story about values and conflicting ideas, visual splendor and magnificent music. This was Christopher Plummer's greatest role, and the best of Julie Andrews, only surpassed by her role in The Americanization of Emily. (Which reminds me to put that great film up for rating too.)

The Sound of Music is one of my favorite films.

And THAT's why you took me to see it on our first date. ;)

It's a great way to size up a gal and see if she has a compatible sense of life. :P

This is one of my favorite movies. Also, I played Maria in a stage production of the story. It gives you a different perspective on how difficult a role it is to play. My deepest respect goes to Julie Andrews and her talent.

This is one of my favorite movies. Also, I played Maria in a stage production of the story.

Though I have seen the movie countless times, I have never seen the stage production. We're very lucky to have quite a few fairly accomplished local theater groups nearby, and last year one group put on performances of The Sound of Music. I expected to see a shortened version of the story, but I was amazed when the play went on for something like 3.5 to 4 hours. What a troupe!

The Sound of Music is one of my favorites from childhood. My youngest sister is 10 years younger than me and I taught her the songs as we watched the movie together. Of course I watched it over and over with my own children as well. We make reference to the Lonely Goatherd song frequently in our household to this day. :P

I love this film for its joyousness, its drama and heroism, its grandeur, and not least, its incredible beauty. Beauty, and either pure joy or grandeur, are everywhere in this film – in the music; the cinematography and set design; the locations; the characters; the light-hearted, yet serious and dramatic sense of life; the significance and drama of the story; the clear innocent joy in living; and the innocence, courage, and passion of the good characters.

Evil, though not prominently featured for most of the film, is well set-up as an ominous backdrop, which moves to the forefront after the love-triangle part of the story is resolved, requiring the full courage and fortitude of every good character.

I just watched this movie last weekend for the first time in... well, too long to remember. It was awesome. I absolutely love this movie. Julie Andrews is amazing, as are all the children. I especially love these lyrics:

"Climb every mountain,

Ford every stream,

Follow every rainbow,

'Till you find your dream."

What more is there to say?

Definitely one of the best movies ever made. I can go years at a time without seeing this movie, and still frequently find myself humming some of the fabulous songs. Seeing this as a small child was also a perfect opportunity for my parents to explain to me who the Nazis were, and for me to begin to try and understand some of the insanity of the events in the century in which I was born.

This is one of my all-time favorite movies. It's the first VHS movie I ever bought, and the first DVD.

Here's a funny story about my love of Julie and the songs in this movie:

I had a routine surgery several years ago, and it required the kind of general anesthesia that leaves you alert but makes you silly and prevents you from remembering what happened. I knew the nurses fairly well from several visits. After the surgery and after the drugs had started to wear off, the nurses were all smiles. They couldn't wait to tell me what happened when I was "under".

They said that I had declared emphatically to everyone in the operating room that I planned to watch this movie over and over again. They said that I told the doctor that the movie would help people recover better from surgery. I also gushed about how much I loved Julie Andrews. But that's not all. Supposedly I sang to them -- quite enthusiastically! -- at least a few selections from the movie.

I can't imagine what was going through the minds of the people in the waiting room while I was back there belting out "How do you solve a problem like Maria...” and "My Favorite Things".

From what I could tell, my surgery was one of their more memorable ones.

This is one of my all-time favorite movies. It's the first VHS movie I ever bought, and the first DVD.

Here's a funny story about my love of Julie and the songs in this movie:

[...]

From what I could tell, my surgery was one of their more memorable ones.

:):blink::):D

The Sound of Music is one of my favorite films.

And THAT's why you took me to see it on our first date. :D

It's a great way to size up a gal and see if she has a compatible sense of life. :)

Oooh, I like that story! It's a '10'. It was my first DVD too.

This is one of my all time favorite movies. It has drama, comedy, muisc, love stories, and such a hopeful message. A really well done movie. There are few musicals, I think, that were able to have polictical elements to it as this one. Unfortunately when they show it on tv they often edited out some of the political parts.