TexasTeacherMom

I love to sew!

11 posts in this topic

Well it's been a couple of years since I could get away from my toddlers long enough to do any sewing, but I finally did this weekend. I made some stockings for the family. Now I am going to embroider a name label for each one. There really is not enough time in the world for me to sew everything I want to. Does anyone else love to sew?

Well it's been a couple of years since I could get away from my toddlers long enough to do any sewing, but I finally did this weekend. I made some stockings for the family. Now I am going to embroider a name label for each one. There really is not enough time in the world for me to sew everything I want to. Does anyone else love to sew?

I used to when I had time but very little money. Right now my sewing machine is gathering dust in the garage because I have no time for sewing but enough money for "store-bought" clothes.

What can be better than doing what you enjoy? I have hobbies that don't make monetary sense, but they give a wonderful feeling of accomplishment when I view my creation.

I can't honestly say that I love to sew, but I have more than a passing grasp of the different methods and tools used, and I am pretty proud of the one major project I undertook.

My wife and I used to work out at sea for the majority of the year, and at one point I had burned out on the labor, and we decided I should take a year off. My wife at the time had an opportunity to take extra work for the State of Alaska, so except for a few weeks here and there she would pretty much be gone from home for the entire year.

So I get this idea in my head that I am going to build a house for her while she is gone.

It had been something we had been talking about for a while, and I thought if I planned it all out carefully, I should be able to get it done in a year. Here is the kicker though: I wanted to keep it secret. Silly me.

Overall the secrecy thing went ok (it was difficult to hide the house from her when she came home for a week) but when we would talk on the phone, I knew she could tell something was up. You see, I have this problem with trying to be untruthful. Not in principle, I understand the virtue of honesty and I understand that it isn't about lying per se. I mean an actual physical problem. My hands sweat. I stutter or mangle my words. To avoid this I get real quiet when faced with a direct question that I don't want to tell the truth about. You can imagine how that must have been, trying to hide a house. She would call, ask "So, what have you been doing?" (long pause) "Nothing." "Nothing at all? What did you do this morning?" (even longer pause) "Nothing." Yeah, she knew something was up.

So she starts to grill her father, who lives close to us, telling him to find out what I am up to. Well, he tells her that I am making something for her, and that she is really going to like it. Uh oh. Bad idea. You have to realize, this woman would open every birthday present and christmas gift early if it isn't locked in a steel box and buried fifteen feet under ground. On the moon. Once she knew I was making a "present" for her, she was relentless. One day, with me sweating bullets on the phone, and her on the other end whittling away at my resolve, I finally broke down and caved into her demands.

And in a fit of inspiration I told her I was making her a quilt.

Days after the phone conversation, still proud of my extemporaneous brilliance, I started to get this sick feeling in my stomach. This is going to sound crazy. I started feeling bad, because I promised her a quilt and she wasn't going to get one. It was probably lack of sleep, but I couldn't get the thought out of my head. It just so happens, that during that stretch of time, I was having sleep problems, probably due to trying to get a full days work in in wintertime Alaska, where you have hardly any daylight. My internal clocks were screwy. So to while away the sleepless nights I started reading books from the library on quiltmaking. It didn't look too difficult, and the tools and design aspects really appealed to me. So I gave it a go.

When she got home the following April, she was anxious to see her quilt. So I took her into her new house, where I had spread the quilt out on a handmade yellow-cedar bed. She liked it.

marinersquilt2.jpg

Wow styg50, that's gorgeous, and that was a cool story. I love to quilt, too. I am working on a couple of different quilts.

I started out sewing out of thrift. Then, it became a profession. In college/grad school I worked in the professional theatre as a costumer and at an alterations shop. Now I just do it for sanity. It's something I can do for hours on end without stopping to eat or rest. I have so many ideas that I could sew for a year and not run out of things to make. In fact I'm getting ready to sew right now.

I don't know how to post pictures on here, but I'm going to try later to show my stockings.

When she got home the following April, she was anxious to see her quilt. So I took her into her new house, where I had spread the quilt out on a handmade yellow-cedar bed. She liked it.

marinersquilt2.jpg

What a wonderful story! Thank you.

Your welcome everyone, it was my pleasure to share it.

Wow styg50, that's gorgeous, and that was a cool story. I love to quilt, too. I am working on a couple of different quilts.

I started out sewing out of thrift. Then, it became a profession. In college/grad school I worked in the professional theatre as a costumer and at an alterations shop. Now I just do it for sanity. It's something I can do for hours on end without stopping to eat or rest. I have so many ideas that I could sew for a year and not run out of things to make. In fact I'm getting ready to sew right now.

I don't know how to post pictures on here, but I'm going to try later to show my stockings.

When I was designing this quilt I definitely got the 'bug.' It is inevitable, I think, when you can work in mediums that have such a variety of tools and materials to be confronted with a lot of inspiration. Actually putting it together kind of drove a lot of that inspiration out of me. Until a kindly neighbor made a leather thimble for me (couldn't find a regular one that would fit my digits) I struggled with stabbing and accuracy. Learned the hard way that satin is a terrible quilting fabric, and eventually ran out of inspiration for the freehand quilting that was supposed to be in the wide blank areas around the star. I drew up many designs for the freehand, but nothing looked right, and I eventually ran out of time and needed to get the binding on.

But looking at the finished product, I could feel the bug coming back. Improvements started coming to me, I relished the chance to start over and cut the pieces out better, etc. I haven't acted on that bug (5 years) but I remember that it is there, and I certainly enjoy looking at other people's work with what I have learned. Definitely try to get your stuff posted up here!

I can't honestly say that I love to sew, but I have more than a passing grasp of the different methods and tools used, and I am pretty proud of the one major project I undertook.

My wife and I used to work out at sea for the majority of the year, and at one point I had burned out on the labor, and we decided I should take a year off. My wife at the time had an opportunity to take extra work for the State of Alaska, so except for a few weeks here and there she would pretty much be gone from home for the entire year.

So I get this idea in my head that I am going to build a house for her while she is gone.

It had been something we had been talking about for a while, and I thought if I planned it all out carefully, I should be able to get it done in a year. Here is the kicker though: I wanted to keep it secret. Silly me.

Overall the secrecy thing went ok (it was difficult to hide the house from her when she came home for a week) but when we would talk on the phone, I knew she could tell something was up. You see, I have this problem with trying to be untruthful. Not in principle, I understand the virtue of honesty and I understand that it isn't about lying per se. I mean an actual physical problem. My hands sweat. I stutter or mangle my words. To avoid this I get real quiet when faced with a direct question that I don't want to tell the truth about. You can imagine how that must have been, trying to hide a house. She would call, ask "So, what have you been doing?" (long pause) "Nothing." "Nothing at all? What did you do this morning?" (even longer pause) "Nothing." Yeah, she knew something was up.

So she starts to grill her father, who lives close to us, telling him to find out what I am up to. Well, he tells her that I am making something for her, and that she is really going to like it. Uh oh. Bad idea. You have to realize, this woman would open every birthday present and christmas gift early if it isn't locked in a steel box and buried fifteen feet under ground. On the moon. Once she knew I was making a "present" for her, she was relentless. One day, with me sweating bullets on the phone, and her on the other end whittling away at my resolve, I finally broke down and caved into her demands.

And in a fit of inspiration I told her I was making her a quilt.

Days after the phone conversation, still proud of my extemporaneous brilliance, I started to get this sick feeling in my stomach. This is going to sound crazy. I started feeling bad, because I promised her a quilt and she wasn't going to get one. It was probably lack of sleep, but I couldn't get the thought out of my head. It just so happens, that during that stretch of time, I was having sleep problems, probably due to trying to get a full days work in in wintertime Alaska, where you have hardly any daylight. My internal clocks were screwy. So to while away the sleepless nights I started reading books from the library on quiltmaking. It didn't look too difficult, and the tools and design aspects really appealed to me. So I gave it a go.

marinersquilt2.jpg

A delightful, senstitive story and a beautiful quilt. Thank you for sharing both.

Wow, this is a great story.

There's something very special with making something with our hands.

I agree, that's a wonderful story. Thanks for sharing it, and the picture of your quilt.