Ifat Glassman

Songbird by Kenny G.

5 posts in this topic

YouTube link:

The song expresses a mind in peace with itself, in a state of complete relaxation and enjoying the world by itself.

It is a totally non-social, private experience of enjoyment. It is this kind of feeling that makes life worth living, and that ideally would be at the basis of all other experiences one has.

Unfortunately though, I did not find an equivalent of this song in other Kenny G. songs. Even though his other songs also have tranquility, this particular atmosphere seems to be a unique creation.

Other songs that combine this element are Take Five by Dave Brubeck, and (less so)

Other songs that combine this element are Take Five by Dave Brubeck, and (less so)

"Take Five" was one of Stephen's favorites and, after he introduced me to it, one of mine as well.

:)

Take five has such a relaxed atmosphere, just a man in his own world. I really like it. I found that I like the improvisation versions (that I found on youtube) better than the most famous one (which is slower).

Do you also hear the same element I was talking about in the other song (songbird)? I'm interested if anyone else can see the same "classification" by atmosphere that I can.

Do you also hear the same element I was talking about in the other song (songbird)?

Oh, yes. It is melodic, harmonious, and relaxed. I think those are the elements that give the music such a comfortable, easy-going, benevolent feel.

YouTube link:

The song expresses a mind in peace with itself, in a state of complete relaxation and enjoying the world by itself.

It is a totally non-social, private experience of enjoyment. It is this kind of feeling that makes life worth living, and that ideally would be at the basis of all other experiences one has.

Unfortunately though, I did not find an equivalent of this song in other Kenny G. songs. Even though his other songs also have tranquility, this particular atmosphere seems to be a unique creation.

I am not generally a Kenny G fan, but I’ve always liked “Songbird”. It’s funny because I must have heard both that and “Take Five” a gazillion times, but never bothered to learn the names. Both very enjoyable pieces of music. “Take Five”, predictably, brings to mind eating out with friends and casual conversation. “Twilight Time” is really not my style, though.

There’s an album you might enjoy, Kamakiriad, by Donald Fagen. My dad gave me this I think back when I was in 8th grade, and I’ve always enjoyed it. To me the music makes me feel like I’m riding in a convertible on a warm, sunny day. It's no coincidence, because the theme of the album is a car ride in the future.

I know what you mean by “relaxing”, but because when I think “relaxing music” the first things to come to mind is elevator music (which I don’t like), I had an initial negative reaction to your post. I don’t have a better word at the moment, though. It does relax me, but that’s not the word I would use to describe the music.