JohnRgt

...WSJ: "'Atlas Shrugged' From Fiction to Fact in 52 Years

13 posts in this topic

WSJ.com

Some years ago when I worked at the libertarian Cato Institute, we used to label any new hire who had not yet read "Atlas Shrugged" a "virgin." Being conversant in Ayn Rand's classic novel about the economic carnage caused by big government run amok was practically a job requirement. If only "Atlas" were required reading for every member of Congress and political appointee in the Obama administration. I'm confident that we'd get out of the current financial mess a lot faster.

I'm listening to the author on Glenn Beck as I type.

~ This piece just came out today. I've never gotten so much feedback. People love Atlas Shrugged.

The one downside I've found so far, and it's a minor issue, is that the piece mentions David Kelley and the Atlas Society, not ARI -- thank god for Google!

WSJ.com
Some years ago when I worked at the libertarian Cato Institute, we used to label any new hire who had not yet read "Atlas Shrugged" a "virgin." Being conversant in Ayn Rand's classic novel about the economic carnage caused by big government run amok was practically a job requirement. If only "Atlas" were required reading for every member of Congress and political appointee in the Obama administration. I'm confident that we'd get out of the current financial mess a lot faster.

~ This piece just came out today. I've never gotten so much feedback. People love Atlas Shrugged.

The one downside I've found so far, and it's a minor issue, is that the piece mentions David Kelley and the Atlas Society, not ARI -- thank god for Google!

I'm sure that many members of Congress have read Atlas Shrugged. It is not a matter of reading a book that will change things. It is a matter of changing the moral foundations upon which their actions are based that will change the way members act. And there is ample evidence that politicians will not and cannot enact such change because they have been elected by a populace that does not grasp the rational basis for ethics and politics.

He also missed "the moral of the story", as he called his emphasis on politics, but at least what he said was essentially correct and -- with or without Google -- he gave them the name of the book and its author.

Stephen Moore used to be on the Glenn Beck TV show frequently as an economic commentator and Glenn Beck repeatedly mentioned Atlas Shrugged with enthusiasm (but evidently not understanding it any deeper than the political level), telling his audience that it's all come true. Glenn Beck was supposed to have restarted his TV show on the Fox News channel early this year but I haven't heard anything about it recently.

Stephen Moore used to be on the Glenn Beck TV show frequently as an economic commentator and Glenn Beck repeatedly mentioned Atlas Shrugged with enthusiasm (but evidently not understanding it any deeper than the political level), telling his audience that it's all come true. Glenn Beck was supposed to have restarted his TV show on the Fox News channel early this year but I haven't heard anything about it recently.

Fox just announced that Glenn Beck starts on Jan. 19. No doubt Stephen Moore will continue to be a guest.

You can also see Stephen Moore most weeks on the Journal Editorial Report which airs Saturdays on Fox.

Fox just announced that Glenn Beck starts on Jan. 19. No doubt Stephen Moore will continue to be a guest.

Glenn Beck has frequently and enthusiastically advocated reading Atlas Shrugged, then say things like this:

Warning: barf material

... The third deceiver, Independence, is such a revered concept that we have a holiday named for it. And we revere it. Of course it is a virtue to think for yourself, to be as financially independent as possible, and to try not to be a burden to others. But we carry it too far and try to need no one but ourselves, to stand alone, to be co-dependent no more.....these are the mottos of today.

Yet we continually find out how interdependent we are, how much we need other people and how dependent we are on God for all that we have, and for life itself.

The real problem with Independence is in the "I". Independence, at the lengths we often try to carry it, is the attitude of I. It’s about me and about what I can do on my own. Real life, the way God intended it to be lived is always about we, about us, about our interdependence, and about how all of us are brothers and sisters because we are all His children, and all equally and totally dependent on Him. The old, positive "can-do" attitude is a great place to start, but a better (and higher) place is a positive "can't-do" attitude that essentially says "Of myself, I am nothing, and can't do much of anything, but with the help of friends and family, and most of all with the guidance and assistance of God, I can do anything that is His will."

Full barf

Using an argument for the value of cooperative endeavors he tries to make religious collectivism the fundamental value for which independence is supposed to serve.

Here is Stephen Moore's prediction of seven major items of upcoming legislation on the Glen Beck website. This is only legislation; it does not cover Obama initiatives under existing non-objective law.

The Obama Agenda Part 3 - Steven Moore

January 22, 2009 - 11:30 ET

The Looters Are Coming

Stephen Moore

How many body blows can an already wobbly economy take from Washington’s new and old gang of politicians before it completely topples over into a comatose state? That’s the question that looms as Barack Obama moves forward with his first one hundred day agenda to stimulate, borrow, spend, devalue and bailout the ailing U.S. economy and seemingly every bankrupt industry. ...

Get ready for the Big Green, Big Labor and Big Trial Lawyer agenda to rain down in a steady stream of job killing initiatives that expand their political power and share of the shrinking pie at the expense of the rest of us. These are the people who Ayn Rand described in her classic novel, Atlas Shrugged as “the looters and their laws.” These people calling the shots now don’t create wealth, they mean to take it from me and Glenn Beck, and you, and you… The more successful and wealthy you are the bigger bullseye you have on your chest.

So here is the rundown of what I call the onslaught from the left. Caution those of feeble heart should not read on...

Full article

Here is Stephen Moore's prediction of seven major items of upcoming legislation on the Glen Beck website. This is only legislation; it does not cover Obama initiatives under existing non-objective law.

Full article

A thought that sometimes occurs to me, is the feasibility of liberty minded individuals all migrating to a low density state, and thus gaining the voting power to make business friendly laws. This in turn could encourage more entrepreneurial minded folks in a snowball effect. It wouldn't be Galt's Gulch, but it would be a zone where some reminder of the way things were, existed.

Full article

A thought that sometimes occurs to me, is the feasibility of liberty minded individuals all migrating to a low density state, and thus gaining the voting power to make business friendly laws. This in turn could encourage more entrepreneurial minded folks in a snowball effect. It wouldn't be Galt's Gulch, but it would be a zone where some reminder of the way things were, existed.

There are annual rankings of the states with the best and worst taxes and treatment of small businesses, with some unorganized migration due to normal discouragement with the worst, but no major population shift beyond what you would expect (out of the northeast, for example). Most people don't understand the underlying philosophical issues, it is expensive to move a business for relatively minor differences in tax rates among many other economic considerations, and the Federal government rules all.

There used to be a very impractical attempt by libertarians to take over NH which went nowhere.

This link is to an OpinionJournal.com video of Stephen Moore talking about his article, "'Atlas Shrugged' From Fiction to Fact in 52 Years". (This link was posted elsewhere.)