Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JohnRgt

USS Ronald Reagan

8 posts in this topic

A beautiful picture of a beautiful ship.

I have not seen the USS Ronald Reagan in person, but I have been on many carriers and other types of Navy Ships. A carrier is amazing for many different reasons, such as giving us the ability to move our forces almost anywhere and being able to stay there if needed.

My dad was on the USS America during the mid to late 70's which allowed me the opportunity to enjoy mulitiple open ocean cruises on this huge ship which I think is a wonderful creation of man.

Aircraft carriers are an awesome sight to behold. I tend to like this one Kitty Hawk for sentimental reasons. :D

I might have similar reasons for why I like the USS America. But one of the non-sentimental reasons that I chose to like the America was of her call sign which was "Courage."

Here are a couple links for those that one to take a closer look at such a wonder.

http://www.freewebs.com/keithwarner/ussamerica.htm

http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/ships/...66-america.html

While my dad was in the Navy he spent most of his career as an Aviation Boatswain Mate. Aviation Boatswain Mate's are the people on the flight line or decks that direct the airplanes, the people with the many different colored shirts. While I was growing up as a Navy dependent I was able to view my dad doing his job many times which was always enjoyful.

Below is a link that gives a quick glimpse into what an Aviation Boatswain Mate does while on duty.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjob1/a/abh.htm

A beautiful picture of a beautiful ship.

I have not seen the USS Ronald Reagan in person, but I have been on many carriers and other types of Navy Ships. A carrier is amazing for many different reasons, such as giving us the ability to move our forces almost anywhere and being able to stay there if needed.

My dad was on the USS America during the mid to late 70's which allowed me the opportunity to enjoy mulitiple open ocean cruises on this huge ship which I think is a wonderful creation of man.

I was once aboard CV-67 (John F. Kennedy) aka "Big John" when she stopped at Boston and was open to the public for a few days. It was impressive to see her from the shore and even more impressive to be aboard. I got the feeling that I had gone aboard "Battlestar Galactic". It was amazing! It seem more like an island than a ship. CV-67 could probably carry a WW2 Iowa class CV as cargo.

ruveyn

I was once aboard CV-67 (John F. Kennedy) aka "Big John" when she stopped at Boston and was open to the public for a few days. It was impressive to see her from the shore and even more impressive to be aboard. I got the feeling that I had gone aboard "Battlestar Galactic". It was amazing! It seem more like an island than a ship. CV-67 could probably carry a WW2 Iowa class CV as cargo.

ruveyn

While living in Virginia Beach, Virginia I had a good friend who's dad was a Chief Petty Officer that was stationed on the USS John F. Kennedy. If I remember correctly the USS JFK was slightly larger (5 feet longer and just a couple feet wider) than the USS America. Occasionally I would be asked if I wanted to go with my friend to pick-up his dad of which I almost always accepted. Back then people were occasionally allowed to drive their cars right out onto the pier and wait for the person or park and walk to the ship. Usually we would just sit and wait for my friend's dad, but occasionally the Chief would come and get us and take us on a tour of this "amazing" ship.

My brother in law forwarded a message going around with the title "You could have heard a pin drop"...one of the "episodes" was an American Officer at a gathering of European military people. A French officer noted that George Bush had just ordered an American aircraft carrier to the region hit by the sunammi. The Frenchman remarked "what's he going to do, bomb them?" The American Officer stood up and said: (paraphrasing): our aircraft carrier can generate thousands of gallons of fresh water out of sea water, generate many kilowatts of electricity that can be used ashore, can serve thousands of meals a day, can be replenished by air and has three hospital units that can treat patients and has helicopters to transport critical patients. We have twelve such ships. How many such ships does France have? You could have heard a pin drop.

A N Other, I like the fact that the American Officer had the courage to stand up and counter the French Officer's words. But the job of the American Military is not to be humanitarians, their job is to be warriors. And when the members of our military spend a lot of their time taking care of problems such as the one mentioned (which happens a lot today) then the military will have less time for practicing the "art of war."

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0