Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ed from OC

DBD: Gore as Ozymandias

3 posts in this topic

Day by Day is an online comic strip that I've been following for a while. The author is clearly on the political right, as shown for instance in today's strip which attacks Al Gore, manmade global warming, and Gore's sycophantic worshippers and their blind faith, all in one nice, simple way.

I was curious about the inscription on the stone, Googled the text, and ended up on this Wikipedia page.

What a terrific surprise. Read the strip and then the Smith poem. I wasn't familiar with the poem before, but look at how well it gets used in the strip. I think why I responded so strongly and positively is that it projects the assumption that the readers of the strip would be familiar with and educated enough to grasp the connection. That's the kind of intellectual culture I yearn for.

So two thumbs up* to Chris Muir, the comic's creator. Well Done!

* I guess a Siskel and Ebert reference is as intellectual as my subconscious will be this morning. :D

Day by Day is an online comic strip that I've been following for a while. The author is clearly on the political right, as shown for instance in today's strip which attacks Al Gore, manmade global warming, and Gore's sycophantic worshippers and their blind faith, all in one nice, simple way.

I was curious about the inscription on the stone, Googled the text, and ended up on this Wikipedia page.

What a terrific surprise. Read the strip and then the Smith poem. I wasn't familiar with the poem before, but look at how well it gets used in the strip. I think why I responded so strongly and positively is that it projects the assumption that the readers of the strip would be familiar with and educated enough to grasp the connection. That's the kind of intellectual culture I yearn for.

So two thumbs up* to Chris Muir, the comic's creator. Well Done!

* I guess a Siskel and Ebert reference is as intellectual as my subconscious will be this morning. :D

This is one of my favourite poems. I posted it here:

http://forums.4aynrandfans.com/index.php?s...ost&p=76384

The cartoon depiction of Al Gore reminds me of a statue on an island in the middle of the Potomac River in Washington D.C. which depicts the man that Objectivist historian Scott Powell has called the most evil U.S. president, Theodore Roosevelt. Not incidentally, and among other evils, Theodore Roosevelt was a sort of proto-greenshirt.

Seen in person, his statue on Theodore Roosevelt Island is a shocking assault on the senses, as its colossal size is wholly inappropriate for the portrayal of an American president, qua American president. My sense is that its inappropriateness was understood at the time the statue was commissioned and erected, and that this is why this "large memorial statue of Roosevelt" is "hidden deep inside the island" (reference) and has not been (I believe) among Washington D.C.'s more popular tourist destinations.

theodore-roosevelt-island.jpeg

This sculpture, more than any other I've ever seen of a U.S. president, strikes me as projecting power-lust so blatantly that the most ignorant viewer could not fail to process its meaning. The size and style is perfectly appropriate to its subject, reminiscent of the posters and objects I once saw at an exhibit featuring a collection of Soviet propaganda -- simplified and over-sized -- not entirely unlike the image of Al Gore in the comic-strip linked to above, similar to public statues of Lenin and Stalin, and reminiscent of the colossal wreck that Shelley described in his poem, Ozymandias.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0