Go 4 TLI

Boris Smeds

2 posts in this topic

This article is somewhat dated, and I posted about it on HBL a while back. Boris Smeds is the embodiment of spaceflight operations at its best: he carries on the proud lineage of Chris Kraft, Gene Kranz, Jenny Stein, et.al.

This article is somewhat dated, and I posted about it on HBL a while back. Boris Smeds is the embodiment of spaceflight operations at its best: he carries on the proud lineage of Chris Kraft, Gene Kranz, Jenny Stein, et.al.

What a great story! Thanks for posting this. I just love finding really conscientious people who are so determined and pay so much attention to detail. Smeds' insistence for a proper test goes to his character and underscores some of the problems with how NASA is now constituted. I love Smeds' idea of varying the power level for the signal to mimic Huygens transmitter in Titan's atmosphere, as well as insisting on matching the Doppler shifted signal. Instead of "a plaque and a small cash prize" they should have put Smeds in charge! Nice to know that at least others will know that people like Boris Smeds are around.