Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AdamM

Gingrich chides Obama

2 posts in this topic

Read about it here. A couple of highlights:

The country is a mess – it’s a bipartisan mess,” Gingrich said. “The Bush-Obama strategy of more spending is not working. It’s not change. It’s continuity.
I did not set out a month ago to find myself this consistently critical of the new administration. But you cannot allow people to do a series of terribly destructive things and then say, ‘Well, we have to be pleasant while they ruin the country.’

Also, why does it seem like the Republicans are the good guys until they're in power? And what are people's opinions of Newt? I was about 10 when he was Speaker, so I missed most of that :lol: ... but he speaks his mind more here than McCain did in about 6 months of campaigning. He seems like the strongest voice in the Republican party. Thoughts?

One thing's for sure, a Newt-Obama debate would have been more compelling than Obama-miniObama (i.e. McCain)!

Adam asked, “…what are people's opinions of Newt?”

I’m currently working on a book refuting Gingrich’s book _Winning the Future: A 21st Century Contract with America_. One breakthrough that I had was realizing that I had to essentially reverse the order of his presentation in order to have it make conceptual sense.

His book begins with a poll driven ten question quiz to determine whether or not you are a good American. He writes, "The higher the score, the more you agree with America's Natural Majority. The lower the score, the more you disagree with America's Natural Majority." One of the questions, to rank agreement 0 to 10, is "I believe in God," which Gingrich believes is the essential political question.

Much of his specific policy recommendations repeat policies of the Bush Administration. The Obama Administration seems to be embracing Gingrich’s ideas related to federally mandated electronic medical records. His policy theme is that government can do what it does better, and in some cases that means government deciding to leave some stuff to the private sector.

One of the main ideas of Gingrich’s book is the re-introduction of God into public life. It is not a throw away line, but a reflection of Gingrich’s behavior of hacking for whatever is popular in the polls. In his advocacy for God, he is very clear to avoid issues that poll poorly as those can always be smuggled in after God has been “restored” in our public life.

Briefly, Gingrich’s agenda is the empowerment of the legislature, without a check from the judiciary, to impose majority will.

I’ve posted some material on this previously:

Newt Gingrich’s Contract with God http://jimwoods.thinkertothinker.com/?p=144

Conceding the Future: The Introduction http://jimwoods.thinkertothinker.com/?p=149

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0