Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EthanK

M1 Abrams Main Battle Tank

3 posts in this topic

Although I have been around these tanks and inside them, I have never actaully gotten to ride in one. So, if your desire is fulfilled, I look forward to a ride. :lol:

I clicked on the number 1 choice, which was as I expected, the famous T-34 battle tank which made scrap metal out of the much vaunted German Panzer. The narrator referred to the T-34 as Russian through and through. Not so! The T-34 made use of the Christie suspension (please see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christie_suspension). This suspension enabled a tank to ride lower (and be less of a target) and to go much faster over broken ground. The U.S. armed forces in their "wisdom" initially rejected the Christie Suspension because it was Not Invented Here (i.e. by the military geniuses). Christie was a designer without honor in his own land.

In later times, some version of the Christie Suspension is used in all first rate battle tanks in several nations. This includes our very own Abrams M-1.

Of course this takes nothing away from the Russians who turned out this tank like griddle cakes at the local IHOP. The T-34s administered a nasty shock to the arrogant Nazis who could not believe that Soviet "sub humans" could do anything right. My relectant thanks to the Soviet tank men who indirectly made sure that I did not end up as a cake of soap on some Nazt's bathroom sink.

ruveyn

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0