Paul's Here

Which is the Best Fighter?

13 posts in this topic

If your question relates to the air-superiority fighter vs fighter role, based not only on acrobatics as shown in the videos, but on speed, available weapons, survivability, the ability to bring weapons to bear, the ability to avoid detection, along with pilot training and tactics, then the answer is both suggested historically by looking at East vs West air combat and by most commentators in the field. It's the Raptor.

I love the graceful yet mean looks of the SU30 Flanker, and think it put on the most spectacular show. There is no way to judge how they will stack up against each other without a lot more information.

The ability to pirouette in the air has little bearing on a fighter's ability to defeat other fighters. Stealthiness, radar, and the missiles they carry, are the important factors. Strategy Page gives periodic information on the F-22 vs. its likely antagonists, and its friendly competitors, too.

Strategy Page F-22

I have had up close views and witnessed the flying of many different fighter jets to include the F-22 and the F-35. From a distance it is very hard to tell the these two apart, but obviously there is a difference. And from what I have seen of the different jets flying capacities and their non-classified specifications I would judge that the F-22 as the best as of right now.

I have had up close views and witnessed the flying of many different fighter jets to include the F-22 and the F-35. From a distance it is very hard to tell the these two apart, but obviously there is a difference. And from what I have seen of the different jets flying capacities and their non-classified specifications I would judge that the F-22 as the best as of right now.

One easy difference to see is that the F22 has 2 nozzle exhausts and the F35 has one.

How does one judge a plane in the absence or independent from its pilot? Except for UAVs, planes do not fly autonomously. The success of the plane is never just the plane, but how it is flown. One can judge ploane + pilot but not plane by itself.

ruveyn

Paul, thanks for the insight.

What I find hard to remember is the visual differences between the F14, F15, F16, F22, and F35. I can remember and see the differences when looking at 2 at a time, but when their all together, they all look almost the same.

If my life depended on it (and it would) I would select the F-22. I have some familiarity with the breed of combat aircraft due to the first half of my career being spent in the aircraft business. Somehow, America seemed to hold a technical edge over the others in this arena. The old Migs were junk, in comparison. Even some of our earlier combat aircraft had some amazing capabilities. I look forward to seeing an F-35 in the future. It should do well in a joint role. But...if I needed to do battle with another pilot...hand me the keys to the F-22.

If my life depended on it (and it would) I would select the F-22. I have some familiarity with the breed of combat aircraft due to the first half of my career being spent in the aircraft business. Somehow, America seemed to hold a technical edge over the others in this arena. The old Migs were junk, in comparison. Even some of our earlier combat aircraft had some amazing capabilities. I look forward to seeing an F-35 in the future. It should do well in a joint role. But...if I needed to do battle with another pilot...hand me the keys to the F-22.

Unfortunately, Obama has pretty much killed the program for future purchases.

What I find hard to remember is the visual differences between the F14, F15, F16, F22, and F35. I can remember and see the differences when looking at 2 at a time, but when their all together, they all look almost the same.

Wow, those are pretty different. The F14 and the F16 are about as different as 2 supersonic fighter jets can be: 1 seat vs 2 seats, size, variable geometry wings vs. fixed, 1 vs 2 tails (I'm sure there's a more technical term for it...), location & shape of air scoops, etc.

The 2 that look somewhat similar to me from afar are the F14 and the F/A18 (not sure why the -18 is more "A" than the -14 btw).

What's the knowledgeable take on the French Rafale?