bborg

Taking Children to Protests

52 posts in this topic

If my post seems rough, that is because I am posting between clients and very limited on time. So, the substance of what I want to say is there alhtough edges might be a little rough.

My child, Livy, is the one holding the sign "Ayn Rand Was Right."

A child doesn't have to understand the full and complex philosophical view of Ayn Rand or any topic to be holding up such a sign. The parent of a 5.5 year old can explain that Ayn Rand believed people should be free to run their own lives, that no one should be able to hit you for no reason, that to try and figure out things with your mind is the greatest of deeds, that you should always determine whether something is right or wrong yourself and not rely on others, that finding out what you want to do with your life now and in the future is a grand thing, etc.

So, since we don't know the full context of the child's understanding in each case, we cannot make a proper judgment upon them and their parents (as long as the child is old enough to have full rational capability for understanding the content on a substantial level).