Photo

I Got Married

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Henrik Unné

Henrik Unné

• Banned
  • 728 posts
  • Interests:Intellectual activism (more than anything else), my wife ,Thi(she is a fascinating and lovely person), reading (I like to read investment letters, commentary on current events, texts on philosophical subjects, popular science magazines and spanking erotica (I have a big library of "spanklit", as it is called), going to movies (I like commercial films, which are solely intended for entertainment, I do not think that they make any serious movies of the Atlas Shrugged kind, and I am not interested in seeing lesser serious movies), listening to music (my favorite groups/artists are Madonna, Pet Shop Boys, The Beatles and Blue Oyster Cult, in that order).

Posted 25 August 2009 - 04:55 PM

This is not an announcement of a birthday, but I suppose that this is the best place in the forum to make this post.

In the interest of promoting the benevolent universe premise, I would like to announce that last Saturday, August the 22d, I had the pleasure of at long last getting married. The name of my new wife is Thi Cuc Tran. Thi is from Vietnam. She has been living here in Sweden for 2 years. Thi and I met via a dating service on the Internet in the beginning of May this year. We immediately began dating, and things went fast.

All the guests at the wedding thought that it was beautiful. The sun was shining, and it was neither too hot nor too cold. The wedding took place in a church whose construction began back in the 13th century. The church is small but beautiful. I am myself an atheist, but Thi is Christian, and she wanted to get married in a church. About 35 persons attended the wedding, about 10 friends, relatives and workmates of mine, and about 25 friends of Thi.

Thi is 49 years old. I am 55. So during the 1960s, Thi grew up in poverty in Vietnam, just outside of what was then called Saigon (now Ho Chi Minh City), while I at the same time grew up in affluent suburbs of New York City in America. So it is a peculiar twist of fate that Thi and I should meet about 40 years later in Sweden, and fall in love.

I have been living alone all of my adult life, and Thi was unmarried until about 5 years ago. Thi´s first marriage did not work out, and she was divorced from her first husband a year ago. I am overjoyed to be married after all these years. Thi is also glad that she found someone to marry, despite the fact that she is not young anymore.

Thi intends to live with me here in Sweden. We hope to share the rest of our lives together. Thi had not heard of Objectivism before she met me, but she is curious, and she has told me that she will try to read Atlas Shrugged (Thi can read English).

#2 JohnRgt

JohnRgt

• Members
  • 2,913 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 05:10 PM

How wonderful! Congratulations and best wishes to you both.
Fear is the passion of slaves. -- Patrick Henry

#3 PhilO

PhilO

• Admin
  • 3,885 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 10:25 PM

Congratulations. Live long and prosper...
Isle thats awaited us,
Be not afraid of us;
Souls of Atlantismen
Come here to stay.

http://brianroycefau.../taking-charge/

#4 Scott A.

Scott A.

• Members
  • 860 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 10:34 PM

Congratulations, Henrik! I hope you both have many years of happiness together!

#5 Betsy Speicher

Betsy Speicher

Administrator

• Admin
  • 7,271 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 11:50 PM

What great news! Many years of happiness together.

(As FORUM Administrator, I'm moving this thread to the "Congratulations!" forum)
Betsy Speicher

Betsy's Law #1 - Reality is the winning side.

Betsy's Law #2 - In the long run you get the kind of friends -- and the kind of enemies -- you deserve.

#6 Paul's Here

Paul's Here

• Members
  • 6,992 posts
  • Interests:Engineering, problem solving, philosophy, hiking, vacationing, economics, computers, and, of course, Objectivism

Posted 26 August 2009 - 12:37 AM

Congratulations to both of you, Henrik!!
ANTHEM
"It is my eyes which see,
and the sight of my eyes grants beauty to the earth.

It is my ears which hear,
and the hearing of my ears gives its song to the world.

It is my mind which thinks,
and the judgment of my mind is the only searchlight that can find the truth."

---------

"Life, if well spent, is long." - Leonardo

--------------------
(Avatar shows the Milky Way and our place in it.)

#7 Rose Lake

Rose Lake

• Members
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 01:31 AM

Congratulations. Live long and prosper...

Ha ha ha. Ditto! :angry2:
current avatar is a color-tinted b&w photo of Lillian Gish.

------------------------

Fantasy is not a form of cognition. -- Leonard Peikoff, Expanded 2nd ed. of Introduction to Objectivist Epistemology, p. 116

#8 Mercury

Mercury

• Members
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 03:17 AM

Congratulations! Very best wishes into the future.

#9 B. Royce

B. Royce

• Members
  • 4,443 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 04:08 AM

Congratulations, Henrik.

Fine Thi Cuc Tran
Hath wed her man,
His woman hath wed Henrik;
Now may they scan
No better plan
But lifelong Joy---to bind it!

#10 Ed from OC

Ed from OC

• Admin
  • 1,553 posts
  • Interests:Professional: engineering, writing<br /><br />A few of my favorite things:<br />arts: movies, literature, dancing<br />Ballroom dances: tango, samba, bolero<br />TV shows: 24, anything Whedon-esque<br />computer: Apple PowerBook<br />lecture course: 8 Great Plays<br />drive: Pacific Coast Highway<br />architects: John Lautner, F.L. Wright<br />movie nobody knows: Don Juan de Marco<br />Physical constant: h

Posted 26 August 2009 - 06:15 AM

Best wishes for a long, happy life together!

#11 Henrik Unné

Henrik Unné

• Banned
  • 728 posts
  • Interests:Intellectual activism (more than anything else), my wife ,Thi(she is a fascinating and lovely person), reading (I like to read investment letters, commentary on current events, texts on philosophical subjects, popular science magazines and spanking erotica (I have a big library of &quot;spanklit&quot;, as it is called), going to movies (I like commercial films, which are solely intended for entertainment, I do not think that they make any serious movies of the Atlas Shrugged kind, and I am not interested in seeing lesser serious movies), listening to music (my favorite groups/artists are Madonna, Pet Shop Boys, The Beatles and Blue Oyster Cult, in that order).

Posted 26 August 2009 - 08:57 AM

Many of the guests at the wedding had cameras, and took pictures. So I hope that I will soon be able to post some photos from the wedding here. My new wife, Thi, is a real beauty. Why are so many Asian women beautiful? I don´t know. I´m just glad I won Thi.

#12 Jim A.

Jim A.

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 05:29 PM

Yes, Henrik, you have "won" Thi. But it wasn't a stroke of "luck" on your part; you have achieved in yourself a character of value, and that is what drew Thi to you.
The fact that you have found someone to share your life with gives me hope that I will find someone to share mine with me. How selfish of me :angry2: !!
(Oh, by the way--Congratulations!!)

#13 Henrik Unné

Henrik Unné

• Banned
  • 728 posts
  • Interests:Intellectual activism (more than anything else), my wife ,Thi(she is a fascinating and lovely person), reading (I like to read investment letters, commentary on current events, texts on philosophical subjects, popular science magazines and spanking erotica (I have a big library of &quot;spanklit&quot;, as it is called), going to movies (I like commercial films, which are solely intended for entertainment, I do not think that they make any serious movies of the Atlas Shrugged kind, and I am not interested in seeing lesser serious movies), listening to music (my favorite groups/artists are Madonna, Pet Shop Boys, The Beatles and Blue Oyster Cult, in that order).

Posted 29 August 2009 - 08:07 AM

To everyone who has posted a comment in this thread.

Thank you for all the congratulations. The universe *is* "benevolent", at least it feels that way to me now!

#14 Betsy Speicher

Betsy Speicher

Administrator

• Admin
  • 7,271 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 01:20 AM

Henrik and Thi's Wedding Album

Posted ImagePosted Image

Betsy Speicher

Betsy's Law #1 - Reality is the winning side.

Betsy's Law #2 - In the long run you get the kind of friends -- and the kind of enemies -- you deserve.

#15 Carlos

Carlos

• Members
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 02:31 AM

Your wife looks beautiful in these photos; congratulations Henrik! Keep on enjoying your newfound happiness in life

#16 Arnold

Arnold

• Members
  • 1,993 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 08:27 AM

You look a good couple in those pictures. Nicely done.

#17 Henrik Unné

Henrik Unné

• Banned
  • 728 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 12:23 PM

You look a good couple in those pictures. Nicely done.

Thank you for the encouragement!

#18 Henrik Unné

Henrik Unné

• Banned
  • 728 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 12:24 PM

Your wife looks beautiful in these photos; congratulations Henrik! Keep on enjoying your newfound happiness in life

Thank you for the encouragement!

#19 Abaco

Abaco

• Members
  • 382 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Enjoying the Beach, Investing, Boxing

Posted 15 December 2009 - 07:32 PM

Sorry so late here - conratulations Henrik. I wish the best for you and your lovely wife.
There's no way to rule innocent men. --(Dr. Ferris in Atlas Shrugged)

#20 Henrik Unné

Henrik Unné

• Banned
  • 728 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 09:56 AM

Sorry so late here - conratulations Henrik. I wish the best for you and your lovely wife.

Thank you, Abaco. My wife, Thi, and I are going to fly to Vietnam on January 6th. I am going to get to know Thi´s relatives in the Ho Chi Minh City (former Saigon) area. Thi has several sisters there, who are eager to meet me. Thi is in contact with them almost every day, by email (the Internet is a wonderful invention!). Thi´s relatives have told Thi that I look like an old man (Thi has sent them photos). Thi has replied to them that I do not look *that* old in the flesh.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users