That disproven story of the Remington Rand typewriter

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 David_Hayes

David_Hayes

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 11:09 AM

As Objectivists, most of the readership of this Forum should have come across several factually-based reports which tell what can be known with certainty of how Ayn Rand came to have that name (changing it from her birth name of Alissa Rosenbaum), reports which debunk the story of her having choosen her new surname from a Remington Rand typewriter. Still, the false story has turned up repeatedly in profiles of Ayn Rand, even after the published stories had made available the facts that make it clear to any researcher that the name-by-typewriter theory couldn't possibly be true.

With that being the case, I have created a new web page which places at one convenient URL a documentation-filled (and illustration-filled) resource which should convince all but the most impossible-to-educate proponents of the name-by-typewriter theory. My page is Did a Remington Rand typewriter give Ayn Rand her name? Please be my guest in linking it on any web pages or in any message exchanges where you think it will reach people who would appreciate the facts -- or reach people who won't appreciate the facts but need to doubt what they thought they knew.

--
David Hayes

#2 alann

alann

• Admin
  • 1,383 posts
  • Interests:Opera
    Jazz
    Investing
    Fiction
    Songwriting
    Theatre
    Ballroom Dance

Posted 20 September 2010 - 10:03 PM

Thanks, David. I haven't had to deal with that issue in awhile, but it's a well-written, interesting account.

Now, if she'd chosen Ayn Corona, that would have been a different story.

#3 Betsy Speicher

Betsy Speicher

Administrator

• Admin
  • 7,270 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 11:19 PM

Still, the false story has turned up repeatedly in profiles of Ayn Rand, even after the published stories had made available the facts that make it clear to any researcher that the name-by-typewriter theory couldn't possibly be true.

And that's not the only false story about Ayn Rand that is still being circulated.

As Winston Churchill observed "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
Betsy Speicher

Betsy's Law #1 - Reality is the winning side.

Betsy's Law #2 - In the long run you get the kind of friends -- and the kind of enemies -- you deserve.

#4 Arnold

Arnold

• Members
  • 1,993 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 11:40 PM

That is a very well presented and interesting read. Thank you.

#5 Bill Bucko

Bill Bucko

• Members
  • 1,132 posts
  • Interests:Aesthetics

I'm the author of three novels set in the Italian Renaissance, "Bring Me Giants!", "The Outcasts," and "Raphaella di Piero." I translated the French adventure story that inspired the young Ayn Rand, "The Mysterious Valley" (Atlantean Press, 1994). My fiction and non-fiction have appeared in "The Atlantean Press Review" and "The Intellectual Activist." Student of Objectivism since 1966; had the wonderful pleasure of meeting Ayn Rand in 1971! I recently discovered--and donated to the Ayn Rand Archives--both French children's magazines that the young Ayn Rand subscribed to.

Posted 21 September 2010 - 05:01 AM

Thanks for your well-researched essay! The subject might appear relatively trivial to some, but I recommend Mr. Hayes' essay to everyone, since it makes some revealing points about alleged scholars who don't bother to check their facts:

... persons not affiliated with the Ayn Rand Institute who complain that they do not receive the respect sometimes accorded to scholars who are affiliated with ARI. Such authors who complain might turn their heads to look into mirrors long enough to notice that they havenít accorded ARI scholars even the modicum of attention it would take to look at their work long enough to spot corrections to errors that pop into their own work.

One of these self-styled "scholars" also claims in her book that the 1914 story I translated, La vallee mysterieuse, was written by a writer born in 1936. Even a glance at the title page of my book (The Mysterious Valley, Atlantean Press, 1994) would have disabused her of this careless error.
What was it he had wished for long ago, lying awake one night ... troubled, struggling to understand? ... He had wished for a world in which parents didn't torture their children, or lie to them. He shook his head. He would never live to see that.

But couldn't there be such a world?

Someday ...

It seemed almost too much to hope for. But there was a chance.

from The Outcasts, chapter 10

#6 JJPierce

JJPierce

• Members
  • 229 posts
  • Interests:Science fiction, classic literature, movies, TV, music (mostly classical).

Posted 08 October 2010 - 12:21 PM

Strange how this story keeps turning up like a bad penny.

But, having read that Rand chose her new name before leaving Russia, I wonder if she'd come across that name and liked the sound of it, just as she later came across "Ayn" and liked the sound of that. Is there documentation from her for the alternative theory that "Rand" was a play on the Cyrillic letters in "Rosenbaum?"
John J. Pierce

Let us dedicate ourselves to our dreams, and to our love, and to the things we fashion from them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users