• 5,024 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 12:17 PM

Laars, you have got it, good job.

#162 Laars

Laars

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 12:54 PM

Thanks, do you got any favourite quotes yourself?
''Those who give up essential liberties for temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.'' - Benjamin Franklin

''What is the greatest lie ever created? What is the most vicious obscenity ever perpetrated on mankind? Slavery? The Holocaust? Dictatorship? No. It's the tool with which all that wickedness is built: altruism''- Andrew Ryan

#163 L-C

L-C

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 01:33 PM

"I know that if you leave dishes in the sink, they get sticky and hard to wash the next day." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Apply as necessary.

#164 RayK

RayK

• Members
  • 5,024 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 02:44 AM

Thanks, do you got any favourite quotes yourself?

I have a ton of quotes that I enjoy reading and I will try and look them up as soon as possible.

#165 Karl

Karl

• Members
  • 25 posts
  • Interests:Applications of Music Cognition to theory and then composition.<br /><br />Sharp blue skies with long puffy and thin white clouds.

Posted 29 October 2010 - 03:12 AM

I stumbled across a few good quotes by a man named Peter Nivio Zarlenga. Looking to find more about him I searched him on google but could not find out anything. Besides that he is allegedly the founder of Blockbuster Videos. . .

I then tried Yahoo and it also turned up nothing remotely biographical. Wikipedia was bare, except for one mention of his name on a William Wordsworth page. I have found this experience disconcerting. His quotes are all over a bunch of different sites. Here are a few of them:

I am thought.
I can see what the eyes cannot see.
I can hear what the ears cannot hear.
I can feel what the heart cannot feel.
Yet I create Beauty for the eyes,
Music for the ears,
Love for the heart.
They, ignorant of their ignorance, call me cold.
Barren of Sight.
Barren of Sound.
Barren of Feeling.
But it is I who am from which all comes.
Given to the ungrateful.
Unseen.
Unheard.
Unfelt.

What is a lie? It is to say what is real is not real. It is to deny the existence of what exists.

Divide your movements into easy-to-do sections. If you fail, divide again.

There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning.

Sounds like an Objectivist, no?
Is anyone familiar with him?

#166 RayK

RayK

• Members
  • 5,024 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:27 PM

"It seems to be a truth, inflexible and inexorable, that he who will not risk cannot win." John Paul Jones

#167 MRZ

MRZ

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 03:33 PM

"Shiny! -cocks shotgun- Let's be bad guys!"

Jayne Cobb
Every man is free to rise as far as he's able or willing, but it's only the degree to which he thinks that determines the degree to which he'll rise.

Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

#168 JohnRgt

JohnRgt

• Members
  • 2,906 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 12:49 AM

This was pasted on the back of a beaten up Ford pickup I saw this evening:

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

(Yes, NY plates . . .)
Fear is the passion of slaves. -- Patrick Henry

#169 JohnRgt

JohnRgt

• Members
  • 2,906 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 12:51 AM

"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth." -- George Washington

#170 ruveyn ben yosef

ruveyn ben yosef

• Members
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 06:01 PM

A society that gets rid of all its troublemakers goes downhill.

Robert A. Heinlein

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.

Robert A. Heinlein

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat.

Robert A. Heinlein

Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors... and miss.

Robert A. Heinlein

Read more:http://www.brainyquo...l#ixzz1hHtu0ozK

ruveyn

#171 JohnRgt

JohnRgt

• Members
  • 2,906 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 05:35 PM

From Top Gear presenter, Jeremy Clarkson:

Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... that’s what gets you.

#172 JohnRgt

JohnRgt

• Members
  • 2,906 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:53 PM

Here's a nice summation of what's going on all around us:

The opposite of poverty is not wealth; the opposite of poverty is justice. -- Bryan Stevenson

As you may have guised, Stevenson has one heck of a resumé:

http://en.wikipedia....Bryan_Stevenson

#173 Betsy Speicher

Betsy Speicher

Administrator

• Admin
  • 7,257 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:15 AM

The opposite of poverty is not wealth; the opposite of poverty is justice. -- Bryan Stevenson

I don't get it. Is this saying that if anyone is poor it means that something unjust has happened?
Betsy Speicher

Betsy's Law #1 - Reality is the winning side.

Betsy's Law #2 - In the long run you get the kind of friends -- and the kind of enemies -- you deserve.

#174 JohnRgt

JohnRgt

• Members
  • 2,906 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:32 AM

I don't get it. Is this saying that if anyone is poor it means that something unjust has happened?

You got it -- pass the bottle!

#175 JohnRgt

JohnRgt

• Members
  • 2,906 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:02 PM

"The value of life can be measured by how many times your soul has been deeply stirred." -- Soichiro Honda

#176 JohnRgt

JohnRgt

• Members
  • 2,906 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 04:44 PM

It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived. -- General George Patton

#177 realitycheck44

realitycheck44

• Members
  • 602 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:18 PM

Frankly, the alpinist Mark Twight is one of the most inspiring writers I've ever read. I know he's a fan of Rand, and I think his writing about the process of being the best you can be is superb. There's that quote from Atlas Shrugged where Hugh Akston says "[...] don't make the mistake of thinking that these three pupils of mine are some sort of superhuman creatures. They're something much greater and more astounding than that: they're normal men—a thing the world has never seen." Too often I see people lament their genetic ability rather than making it for it with hard work. I work hard. Twight makes me want to work harder (and smarter).

I know they're lengthy, but they are too good to be cut down to a sentence or two:

"Talk - Action = Zero."

"Those who aren't the real thing always find an excuse for their failings when confronted by the real thing. [...] This is a natural consequence of having been told from childhood, "you are a unique snowflake." Well you're not and I'm not. If you weren't given the gift, you can't get the gift so the best you can do - if your goal is important - is work as hard as you possibly can, pay attention every hour of every day and then maybe, maybe if you've done enough and been smart enough you'll emerge from the muck of mediocrity to shine a bit brighter than you shone before. Then, upon reflection you might decide your goal is a bit more important so you'll start paying attention every minute of every hour of every day. You'll find people who are better than you and you'll take an empty cup when you meet them. Their example will destroy or inspire you and if it's the latter you may stay and learn. You might imitate, doing as they do because you've already accepted that you do not know best - if you did you'd be leading the group they were trying to join. Perhaps being exposed to their superior ability will drive you to work harder than you thought possible, or necessary. Maybe you'll overcome your self-imposed (or worse, society-imposed) limitations and shine even more brightly. Wow, you're getting it: positive reinforcement for hard work and suffering. So maybe you give your goal even more significance and you begin cutting away the ideas and the expectations and the people who you believe prevent you from achieving it. Now you become a real selfish prick, and you begin paying attention every second of every minute of every hour of every day, and you sustain your awareness for weeks and months at a time. You no longer think yourself a unique snowflake, you're a steel-edged blade shaped like a snowflake and you're spinning at warp speed. You're the biggest fish in the pond. You're a badass. Now you have options.
1) If you think you haven't yet done enough, and you could do more, you might begin to understand that, the more capable you become, the higher the mountain rises ahead of you. At that moment you may recognize the existence of a legitimately serious group, ahead of you, above you, somewhere you're not. They are silent, implacable, constantly improving and evolving and because they are truly capable they are accessible to those who are genuine. Among them there's no defensiveness, no posturing or pretending, and they aren't interested in anyone else's. Selection for such a group isn't based on physical performance alone. Issues of character and commitment, and discipline and persistence balance physical talent. Because you clawed your way out of the muck, were "up all night, dedicated" and maintained interest for long enough to differentiate yourself from the short-attention-span sporting dilettantes who commonly brush up against this group they might accept you as an apprentice. If you empty your cup your chances are better. If you redouble your efforts your odds improve again."

"Modern man is conditioned to expect instant gratification but any success or triumph realized quickly, with only marginal effort is necessarily shallow. Meaningful achievement takes time, hard work, persistence, patience, proper intent and constant self-awareness. The path to such success is punctuated by failure, consolidation and renewed effort. It is wet with the tears of emotional breakdown. Personal reconstruction is art. Discovering one's self, one's talent and ambition and learning how to express it is a creative process so may not be rushed. What's the hurry? Pressure to succeed according to a particular timeline comes from outside. If the goal is selfish self-improvement there is no schedule, no deadline. One's rate of progress is influenced by the intensity used to address the task. Hard, intelligent work speeds us along the path. Neurotic obsession and compulsion may steepen the trajectory but usually lead to illness and injury. In the end, the process takes as long as it takes -- you can't push the river. We are in it for the long haul."
"The Priest hated him, for the Viking looked at heaven only when he bent for a drink over a mountain brook, and there, overshadowing the sky, he saw his own picture.
A Viking lived, who had laughed at Kings, who had laughed at Priests, who had laughed at Men, who had held, sacred and inviolable, high over all temples, over all to which men knew how to kneel, his one banner - the sanctity of life." -Ayn Rand

#178 JohnRgt

JohnRgt

• Members
  • 2,906 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:57 PM

“Learn how to accepted losses without being defeated.”

One of the pieces of wisdom Phil Niekro tried to instill in Tim Wakefield when he was helping him become a knuckleballer. Mentioned in the documentary, Knuckleball. BTW: 1 down, ten to go . . . )

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users