• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Betsy Speicher

Betsy Speicher

Administrator

• Admin
  • 7,265 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 03:40 PM

I just got this notice from the company that hosts and provides software for THE FORUM:

Dear Valued Client:

You are receiving this notice because our systems detected that you are currently running a version of our software, IP.Board that is several years old, no longer supported and may contain security vulnerabilities and bugs.

Your account is scheduled to be moved to a new datacenter in coming weeks. Please note that our new infrastructure takes advantage of the latest technologies to afford you increased performance, stability and features. Unfortunately, the version of the software you are currently utilizing is not compatible with these technologies. As such, we must work with you to complete an upgrade to the latest version as soon as possible to ensure uninterrupted service.

While any custom template changes and modifications would be lost during the upgrade, your members, posts, forums, messages and other related content would remain fully intact. Further, interruption during the upgrade will be minimal ranging from 15 minutes to 1 hour depending on the size of your community.

What this means is that THE FORUM may be unavailable for short periods of time in the next few weeks. After the upgrade and migration, THE FORUM's distinctive graphics will disappear and things will look rather plain until I can get the graphic artist who originally installed our custom skins to restore them. He also added some custom features which may not work until we fix them, so if you have problems, please let me know.
Betsy Speicher

Betsy's Law #1 - Reality is the winning side.

Betsy's Law #2 - In the long run you get the kind of friends -- and the kind of enemies -- you deserve.

#2 Brad Harrington

Brad Harrington

• Members
  • 523 posts
  • Interests:Reading, thinking, writing, chess, loving my wife and family, computers, physics, mathematics, philosophy, astronomy, history, politics, economics, graphics layout and design, revolutionary theory, and anything else that makes me think.

Posted 13 October 2011 - 01:56 PM

Hah! Betsy getting dragged into the (alleged) 21st century, probably kicking and screaming every thump of the way. Ah, "progress"... Let's hope you graphic artist hasn't retired to Tahiti by now. <smile>

Looking forward to the changes. Thanks for letting us know whats happening!

Brad
TANSTAAFL!

#3 Betsy Speicher

Betsy Speicher

Administrator

• Admin
  • 7,265 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 08:04 PM

They "upgraded" THE FORUM and we lost all the custom modifications that Stephen had a graphics programmer do just for us. The last time I communicated with the programmer was in 2008 and since then he has sold his business, none of the three email addresses I have for him works, and the new owner doesn't have an email address either.

At this point, my best bet is to buy a new skin and install it. Does anyone here have any experience in installing a skin on Invision Power Board?
Betsy Speicher

Betsy's Law #2 - In the long run you get the kind of friends -- and the kind of enemies -- you deserve.

#4 AlexL

AlexL

• Members
  • 59 posts
  • Interests:Computers, Physics, Mathematics, Philosophy/Ethics/Politics

Posted 15 October 2011 - 09:12 AM

Betsy,

if you need, you still can access the forum in its old Format - from the Internet Archive http://web.archive.org:

http://web.archive.o...ynrandfans.com/

The last snapshot in the Archive dates from April 2011.

Sasha

#5 Betsy Speicher

Betsy Speicher

Administrator

• Admin
  • 7,265 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 02:54 PM

Thank you, Sasha. That really helps. I turned that over to a company that does IPB forum graphics and am awaiting a quote for how much it will cost me.
Betsy Speicher

#6 ruveyn ben yosef

ruveyn ben yosef

• Members
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 03:56 PM

Betsy,

If you have to pass the hat around make sure you can receive contributions by way of Pay Pal.

ruveyn

#7 Betsy Speicher

Betsy Speicher

Administrator

• Admin
  • 7,265 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 07:57 PM

Thank you, Ruveyn. Past upgrades and modifications have been very reasonable, but we'll see.
Betsy Speicher

#8 ewv

ewv

• Members
  • 4,606 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 05:56 AM

If you have to pass the hat around make sure you can receive contributions by way of Pay Pal.

The interhat?

#9 ruveyn ben yosef

ruveyn ben yosef

• Members
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 10:46 AM

The interhat?

Why not? We are getting a benefit that has to be paid for.

ruveyn

#10 Brad Harrington

Brad Harrington

• Members
  • 523 posts
  • Interests:Reading, thinking, writing, chess, loving my wife and family, computers, physics, mathematics, philosophy, astronomy, history, politics, economics, graphics layout and design, revolutionary theory, and anything else that makes me think.

Posted 18 October 2011 - 12:25 PM

They "upgraded" THE FORUM and we lost all the custom modifications that Stephen had a graphics programmer do just for us. The last time I communicated with the programmer was in 2008 and since then he has sold his business, none of the three email addresses I have for him works, and the new owner doesn't have an email address either.

At this point, my best bet is to buy a new skin and install it. Does anyone here have any experience in installing a skin on Invision Power Board?

Sorry about the troubles. But I sure like not having to italicize, bold, etc., and add in hyperlinks; I can just copy and paste now, and it keeps everything intact instead of converting it to straight text. NICE, that.

Brad
TANSTAAFL!

#11 ewv

ewv

• Members
  • 4,606 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 12:52 AM

Sorry about the troubles. But I sure like not having to italicize, bold, etc., and add in hyperlinks; I can just copy and paste now, and it keeps everything intact instead of converting it to straight text. NICE, that.

The forum software previously provided the option to preserve the format instead of pasting the plain text, presumably through the base IPB program. I didn't use that option because it caused problems with subsequent editing of the formatted text pasted in.

#12 JohnRgt

JohnRgt

• Members
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 01:57 PM

It seems that I can only click on View New Content once. After that, the list of posts I haven't gotten to during the visit disappears.
Fear is the passion of slaves. -- Patrick Henry

#13 Betsy Speicher

Betsy Speicher

Administrator

• Admin
  • 7,265 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 12:20 AM

It seems that I can only click on View New Content once. After that, the list of posts I haven't gotten to during the visit disappears.

Some of these things work differently than they used to. Click on "View New Content" in the upper right corner of most screens to go to the new content page. On the left side of the page you can pick which new posts you want to see.
Betsy Speicher

#14 JohnRgt

JohnRgt

• Members
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 05:05 AM

Some of these things work differently than they used to. Click on "View New Content" in the upper right corner of most screens to go to the new content page. On the left side of the page you can pick which new posts you want to see.

When I've gone back to the new content page the new posts I haven't linked to yet are gone. I guess from now on I'll simply click on the "View New Content" when I wish to return to that list.

#15 ewv

ewv

• Members
  • 4,606 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 07:39 AM

When I've gone back to the new content page the new posts I haven't linked to yet are gone. I guess from now on I'll simply click on the "View New Content" when I wish to return to that list.

It doesn't just work differently, it's a poor substitute that is clumsy to navigate and some things aren't there at all.

It might help if you use multiple tabs. Open a separate browser window just for the Forum. In the first tab leave the "View new Content" page and open all links from there into new tabs. That will help with some of the navigation problems.

#16 Paul's Here

Paul's Here

• Members
  • 6,988 posts
  • Interests:Engineering, problem solving, philosophy, hiking, vacationing, economics, computers, and, of course, Objectivism

Posted 21 October 2011 - 09:42 AM

After clicking on View New Content, you have to go to the left and click on Time Period.
ANTHEM
"It is my eyes which see,
and the sight of my eyes grants beauty to the earth.

It is my ears which hear,
and the hearing of my ears gives its song to the world.

It is my mind which thinks,
and the judgment of my mind is the only searchlight that can find the truth."

---------

"Life, if well spent, is long." - Leonardo

--------------------
(Avatar shows the Milky Way and our place in it.)

#17 JohnRgt

JohnRgt

• Members
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 06:18 PM

After clicking on View New Content, you have to go to the left and click on Time Period.

The default setting is supposed to list posts I haven't read yet. It doesn't.

#18 ewv

ewv

• Members
  • 4,606 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 10:17 PM

Are you always logged in when this happens?

#19 JohnRgt

JohnRgt

• Members
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 02:53 AM

Are you always logged in when this happens?

Yes. That's what makes it so odd.

#20 Betsy Speicher

Betsy Speicher

Administrator

• Admin
  • 7,265 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 05:02 AM

The posts you haven't read yet should have a blue dot or star to the left of the topic title. If you click on the dot or star, it should take you to the first unread post. Let me know if that works.
Betsy Speicher

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users