Photo

Piano Concerto No. 2

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Poll: Rate this music (15 member(s) have cast votes)

Rate this music

1. 10 (14 votes [93.33%])

Percentage of vote: 93.33%

2. 9 (1 votes [6.67%])

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

3. 8 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. 7 (0 votes [0.00%])

5. 6 (0 votes [0.00%])

6. 5 (0 votes [0.00%])

7. 4 (0 votes [0.00%])

8. 3 (0 votes [0.00%])

9. 2 (0 votes [0.00%])

10. 1 (0 votes [0.00%])

11. 0 (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Stephen Speicher

Stephen Speicher

Administrator

• Admin
  • 7,870 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 06:12 AM

Music suggested for rating by Free Capitalist.

#2 A.West

A.West

• Members
  • 142 posts
  • Interests:Finance, Economics, Tennis, educating my daughter Athena

Posted 27 February 2006 - 01:24 PM

I gave it a ten. When I was young and had an untrained ear, the PC2 was not immediately as enjoyable as it was upon repeated listening, so I encourage first-time listeners to give it some time.

An interesting question - can anyone suggest a favorite version? I've listened to probably 8 different recordings. My default favorite was the first CD I owned of it -the Ashkenazy/Concertgebow performance. I like it because it takes a leisurely pace, and is played with emotion. The acoustics of Rachmaninoff's own performances are a bit too much of a strain for my casual listening, but are fascinating.

#3 Free Capitalist

Free Capitalist

• Members
  • 2,226 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 04:46 PM

One of my favorite pieces of all time, all three parts, not just the first as for some people ;) Right now I don't have the CD cover, and thus can't tell the conductor/orchestra name of my current favorite recording, but I'll post it here when I can.

One of my most favorite moments in all of music is the sublime triumph at the end of part II in this Concerto -- intending to learn how to play it was a major reason for why I started up playing piano again, from long ago. One day soon, I'll recapture my old knowledge again, and I will be able to play it.

:D
"I will tell you of the most native and greatest adornment of Athens, that which comprises and contains all the rest. Some lands are adorned as the birthplace of elephant and lion species, others as the birthplace of horses and dogs, and yet others of creatures the tales of which frighten children. But its land is adorned by the fairest thing on earth, not to be mentioned like some winged ants of India. For it was the first to bear Man."
-Aelius Aristides, 2nd c. AD

#4 B. Royce

B. Royce

• Members
  • 4,436 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 05:28 PM

I love this work. It was the first recording of classical/romantic music I purchased---at age 19, and one of the first such pieces I had even heard. I sought it ought because of Ayn Rand's connection of it in The Fountainhead with a sense of youth and expectation. The recording I heard had Van Cliburn as pianist (this was back in 1966). I think The Chicago Symphony was the orchestra. I recently heard Philippe Entremont playing it, Leonard Bernstein conducting. I really like Entremont's strong, clear tone. The orchestra never drowns him (the piano) out.

No piece of music had ever affected me so deeply and so joyously. I love its strong opening movement, its truly thoughtful, self-examining second movement, and its deciding, strong, freely confident and triumphant last movement.

Needless to say, I sought out everything else composed by Rachmaninoff (whom I regarded as my personal treasure) and have been richly rewarded.

#5 Mercury

Mercury

• Members
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 05:22 AM

This was the second of Rachmaninoff's works I thoroughly familiarized myself with. The first was Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini.

Someone I was once very close to provided the best description of this piece of music. He said that the Rach 2 brought to mind the grand story of a man captaining a ship, fighting great battles, braving terrible storms, defying the gods, in order to reach the unknown, whilst keeping an eye out for a woman worthy of him.

Till today, anytime this begins to play, that's who I see...that man.

#6 Bold Standard

Bold Standard

• Members
  • 308 posts
  • Interests:Romantic art, especially music. I love Rachmoninoff, Chopin, and 19th/20th century Operettas and popular tunes. I love the British 1980's/90's &quot;dream-pop&quot; groups Felt, Cocteau Twins, Lush and My Bloody Valentine. <br /><br />Besides playing music of my own (which you can hear at www.myspace.com/epistemelody), I love to read, and talk about Art, Science, Philosophy and Objectivism.

Posted 03 June 2006 - 06:28 PM

This is my favorite song ever. This is the first song I've given a "10" rating to on the forum (I didn't notice that it was on here until just now). I don't have a favorite version yet, because I haven't yet heard a version that I think does it complete justice. I can let the whole song play in my head, and "hear" all the melodies and harmonies. The song is almost tragic in its majesty. Honestly, sometimes when I hear it, I just want to leap up and turn it off, and smash the stereo. I'm not sure why, exactly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users