Time Zones on the Forum

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Arnold

Arnold

• Members
  • 1,993 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 12:29 AM

Can anyone tell me what time zone is shown for posts on the Forum? I can't make any sense of it. For example, if I return to the Forum after half an hour, it tells me my last visit was two hours in the future.

#2 Stephen Speicher

Stephen Speicher

Administrator

• Admin
  • 7,870 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 01:38 AM

Can anyone tell me what time zone is shown for posts on the Forum? I can't make any sense of it. For example, if I return to the Forum after half an hour, it tells me my last visit was two hours in the future.

We use very advanced software here on THE FORUM. :(

Actually, each member gets to set his own time zone. Click on My Controls -> Board Settings and then set the proper time zone. Melbourne should be GMT + 10 hours.
Stephen
stephen@speicher.com

Ignorance is just a placeholder for knowledge.

Forums.4AynRandFans.com is a place that holds knowledge.

#3 Arnold

Arnold

• Members
  • 1,993 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 06:29 AM

We use very advanced software here on THE FORUM. :D

Actually, each member gets to set his own time zone. Click on My Controls -> Board Settings and then set the proper time zone. Melbourne should be GMT + 10 hours.

I checked, and I do have it correctly set. My posts are shown to me in my time, but your reply added 7 hours, converting it to your local time. Thus, unless I know the zone you are in, the times shown on posts that are not from me, don't mean much. How about doing the aviation thing, and using GMT for a reference?

#4 Stephen Speicher

Stephen Speicher

Administrator

• Admin
  • 7,870 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 03:02 PM

Arnold, I just changed my own timezone to yours, and your post #1 and my post #2 were separated by an additional 12 hours as compared to using my actual timezone. This must be a bug in the software. I will notify the developers and request it be fixed. Thanks for pointing out the problem.

As to switching to GMT, pilots may have that mental set but I think most people feel more comfortable looking at things in their own timezone.
Stephen
stephen@speicher.com

#5 Jay P

Jay P

• Members
  • 775 posts
  • Interests:Software engineering, Objectivism, science, history

Posted 11 August 2006 - 01:27 AM

I don't have the problem Arnold has, but as long as we're talking about time zones... there's something that's been wrong a long time.

The FORUM software has my time one hour off. I checked my settings, and I'm correctly set to US Pacific Time, and I have the little DST box checked. So I'd expect it would correct properly for Daylight Savings Time, but it appears not to.

For instance, it's 6:22 PM here now, but my FORUM screen thinks it's about 5:22. And I bet it's going to tell me I posted it at about 5:22 - let's see....

It's a minor problem, but perhaps it's an indication of a larger bug in timekeeping.

Maybe I should move to Arizona or Indiana where they don't have DST and I wouldn't have to worry about this?? :)
Jay

#6 Stephen Speicher

Stephen Speicher

Administrator

• Admin
  • 7,870 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 01:57 AM

I don't have the problem Arnold has, but as long as we're talking about time zones... there's something that's been wrong a long time.

The FORUM software has my time one hour off. I checked my settings, and I'm correctly set to US Pacific Time, and I have the little DST box checked. So I'd expect it would correct properly for Daylight Savings Time, but it appears not to.

For instance, it's 6:22 PM here now, but my FORUM screen thinks it's about 5:22. And I bet it's going to tell me I posted it at about 5:22 - let's see....

That's really strange. My timezone is the same as yours [to be specific, I selected "(GMT - 8:00 hours) Pacific Time (US & Canada)"] and I checked off "Auto correct DST?" Your post showed with a time stamp of "06:27 PM." Does your display show a different timestamp?

I do note that the little blurb underneath the DST checkbox says "(If selected, your DST setting is automatically adjusted when you next load the board index)". Have you logged out and logged back in after setting the DST? Perhaps it is "cookie" or "cache" related. Have you tried clearing both of these in your browser?
Stephen
stephen@speicher.com

#7 Jay P

Jay P

• Members
  • 775 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 02:16 AM

That's really strange. My timezone is the same as yours [to be specific, I selected "(GMT - 8:00 hours) Pacific Time (US & Canada)"] and I checked off "Auto correct DST?" Your post showed with a time stamp of "06:27 PM." Does your display show a different timestamp?

Yes, mine shows a time stamp of 5:27. Hmmm. It's also showing the time of your post - the very one I'm responding to now - as 5:57.

I do note that the little blurb underneath the DST checkbox says "(If selected, your DST setting is automatically adjusted when you next load the board index)". Have you logged out and logged back in after setting the DST? Perhaps it is "cookie" or "cache" related. Have you tried clearing both of these in your browser?

Before I log out of this session, I'll toggle the little DST checkbox; then I'll see if I can figure out how to clear my cache, etc, and see if that fixes it.
Jay

#8 Jay P

Jay P

• Members
  • 775 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 03:19 AM

Before I log out of this session, I'll toggle the little DST checkbox; then I'll see if I can figure out how to clear my cache, etc, and see if that fixes it.

The FORUM software now seems to understand that it's daylight savings time for me.

I unchecked the "automatic DST" box; when I did so, another box appeared for me to manually check whether DST is in effect. This I did, and then applied this change to my account. Then I went back and re-checked the automatic DST box, and applied that change. I also logged in and out a few times and cleared my browser's history and cache. And now the times I see are correct.

(I do notice, though, that old posts of mine, that contain quotes from posts I was responding to, contain the old - wrong - time of the responded-to post. So for instance, my previous post, which was a reply to Stephen, now correctly shows as 7:16 PM, but it shows the excerpted piece of Stephen's quote as being 5:57 PM, but it was really 6:57 PM. Oh well, no real problem.)

Now the interesting thing to see will be if, when we go back to standard time, my time gets automatically changed.... But anyway, things seem to be fine now.
Jay

#9 Stephen Speicher

Stephen Speicher

Administrator

• Admin
  • 7,870 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 03:32 AM

(I do notice, though, that old posts of mine, that contain quotes from posts I was responding to, contain the old - wrong - time of the responded-to post. So for instance, my previous post, which was a reply to Stephen, now correctly shows as 7:16 PM, but it shows the excerpted piece of Stephen's quote as being 5:57 PM, but it was really 6:57 PM. Oh well, no real problem.)

The content of the post, including quote information, becomes fixed data in the database, whereas the display times on the heading are set "on the fly," as they are displayed.

Now the interesting thing to see will be if, when we go back to standard time, my time gets automatically changed.... But anyway, things seem to be fine now.

Glad that is resolved.
Stephen
stephen@speicher.com

#10 Arnold

Arnold

• Members
  • 1,993 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 08:25 AM

Arnold, I just changed my own timezone to yours, and your post #1 and my post #2 were separated by an additional 12 hours as compared to using my actual timezone. This must be a bug in the software. I will notify the developers and request it be fixed. Thanks for pointing out the problem.

As to switching to GMT, pilots may have that mental set but I think most people feel more comfortable looking at things in their own timezone.

Post No.2 was sent at 16:29 (10th) local, and that is now indicating correctly. This post is at 18:24 local, on the 11th (we are some 18 hours ahead of you), so I will see if the glitch is OK now.
Altruism isn't about giving a beggar a dime, it's about
whether you have the right to exist if you don't.
[ Paraphrase Ayn Rand.]
---------------------------------------
It's not that most men don't try to do the right thing.
The problem is that they don't know what the right thing is.
No Suicide Bomber doubted the rightness of his action as
being moral. This all begs for a reason based ethics.

Arnold Broese-van-Groenou

#11 Arnold

Arnold

• Members
  • 1,993 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 08:26 AM

Post No.2 was sent at 16:29 (10th) local, and that is now indicating correctly. This post is at 18:24 local, on the 11th (we are some 18 hours ahead of you), so I will see if the glitch is OK now.

Correction, that should be post #3, not 2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users