Stephen's Health

• Please log in to reply
277 replies to this topic

#161 Just Mark

Just Mark

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 03:31 PM

Betsy, I haven't been here lately either, but Alan just told me. Please know that I care and we're all pulling for Steve. I understand there is now a definitive study showing that prayer not only doesn't work but can make the patient feel worse (although laughter helps), so I'll keep thinking about him and you keep a close eye on the doctors. If there's anything I can do, let me know.

#162 Betsy Speicher

Betsy Speicher

Administrator

• Admin
  • 7,269 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 03:48 PM

UPDATE:

Unfortunately, Stephen's infection is not yet under control, so he can't get the Ventricular Assistance Device (VAD) that he needs. His doctors are relying on less effective devices and drugs to hold him until the infection is gone, but he had several episodes of life-threatening tachycardia yesterday. Fortunately, he recovered. They are also considering putting Stephen on dialysis to support his kidneys.

Stephen is hanging in there and so am I.
Betsy Speicher

Betsy's Law #1 - Reality is the winning side.

Betsy's Law #2 - In the long run you get the kind of friends -- and the kind of enemies -- you deserve.

#163 Eric K

Eric K

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 04:07 PM

I just caught up on my Cybernet updates and found out about this. Betsy, I can't imagine what you must be going through. I'm sure Stephen is doing all he can (loving life as he does), and I hope he is able to overcome this terrible adversity. Hang in there.

#164 oldsalt

oldsalt

• Members
  • 740 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 05:03 PM

Dear Betsy,

Keep fighting. Every moment gives chance for the next. Stephen is obviously fighting very hard.

I'm sending a big ol' virtual hug for you, wishing it were real.

Best,
Janet
oldsalt
(AKA Janet_Busch on the FORUM)

"Where knowledge and reason fail, the pigs will lurch and waddle on their hind legs, and the other beasts will gawk in admiration and envy." Richard Mitchell

#165 Hemangini_Naidu

Hemangini_Naidu

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 06:03 PM

UPDATE:

Unfortunately, Stephen's infection is not yet under control, so he can't get the Ventricular Assistance Device (VAD) that he needs. His doctors are relying on less effective devices and drugs to hold him until the infection is gone, but he had several episodes of life-threatening tachycardia yesterday. Fortunately, he recovered. They are also considering putting Stephen on dialysis to support his kidneys.

Stephen is hanging in there and so am I.

Dear Betsy,

I am dismayed that Stephen's infection has been so intractable and the attack was so severe as to affect the kidneys as well!! Words fail me for I have always been the one to be on the bed and I never doubted that it's always much tougher for those who love you.

From my perspective, keeping your mind active always helps a great deal under the worst of conditions but I don't think that I can even imagine the ordeal you are going through.

Just keep taking care of yourself and Stephen and things should work out fine.

Best of wishes,

- Hema

#166 Scott A.

Scott A.

• Members
  • 860 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 09:29 PM

You have my deepest, strongest, and most positive thoughts.

#167 ewv

ewv

• Members
  • 4,609 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 09:33 PM

We are seeing some real, ongoing, around the clock personal heroism here from Betsy, Stephen and his doctors.

#168 oldsalt

oldsalt

• Members
  • 740 posts

Posted 31 March 2007 - 09:45 PM

We are seeing some real, ongoing, around the clock personal heroism here from Betsy, Stephen and his doctors.

Yes.
oldsalt

"Where knowledge and reason fail, the pigs will lurch and waddle on their hind legs, and the other beasts will gawk in admiration and envy." Richard Mitchell

#169 mcvideo

mcvideo

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 02:37 AM

Not knowing the Speichers, I really don't know what else I can add to this topic other than my best wishes.
Two wrongs don't make a right . . . however, two Wrights make an airplane.

Save the whales. Trade them in for nifty prizes.

Have I found Christ? Don't tell me He's lost AGAIN!

#170 ADS

ADS

• Members
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 05:59 AM

It pains me greatly to have to inform everyone that Stephen passed away tonight.

He waged a valiant battle. But he took another turn for the worse and there was nothing his doctors could do.

I know this must come as a shock. I'm beside myself. All I can think of right now is how much Stephen loved the song "What a Wonderful World," and how with Stephen gone the world is no longer quite as wonderful.

You will be missed, Stephen, and you will always be loved by those who knew you best.

--Alex

#171 oldsalt

oldsalt

• Members
  • 740 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 06:09 AM

I have no words right now. All of my thoughts are with Betsy.

This is a terrible loss. I know that Stephen put up a heroic battle to have lasted so long with the kind of grievous injury his poor heart sustained. He was a man to be admired to the very end.
oldsalt

#172 Carlos

Carlos

• Members
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 06:30 AM

This really is a terrible shock, and I want to give my deepest condolences to Betsy.

#173 ~Sophia~

~Sophia~

• Members
  • 593 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 06:43 AM

Betsy, I am very sorry for your loss. Please accept my deepest condolences.
May the memories held within your mind and heart help to soothe your spirit at this difficult time. You are in my thoughts.

#174 Hemangini_Naidu

Hemangini_Naidu

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 06:46 AM

It pains me greatly to have to inform everyone that Stephen passed away tonight.

He waged a valiant battle. But he took another turn for the worse and there was nothing his doctors could do.

I know this must come as a shock. I'm beside myself. All I can think of right now is how much Stephen loved the song "What a Wonderful World," and how with Stephen gone the world is no longer quite as wonderful.

You will be missed, Stephen, and you will always be loved by those who knew you best.

--Alex

Dear Betsy,

I just read about Stephen and I am lost for words. I am so sorry for your loss and I can only offer my deepest condolences.

Regards,

Hema

#175 jordanz

jordanz

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 07:01 AM

I am driven to tears. What a horrible loss. I have no words to express my pain.

#176 ADS

ADS

• Members
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 07:03 AM

I have no words right now. All of my thoughts are with Betsy.

In my shock, and my honoring of Betsy's request to post the terrible news for her, I neglected to publicly speak to her. Of course, my and Sarah's deepest sympathies are with Betsy, and we will be there for her in any manner she needs for as long as she needs. You are in our thoughts, Betsy. Always.

#177 PhilO

PhilO

• Admin
  • 3,885 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 07:10 AM

I'm very saddened to read of Stephen's untimely death. It still doesn't seem quite real to me yet. He deserved many more years of life - a strong, great spirit cut short by a prematurely failing body. All was done that could have been done but it starkly shows how very far medicine still has to go.
Isle thats awaited us,
Be not afraid of us;
Souls of Atlantismen
Come here to stay.

http://brianroycefau.../taking-charge/

#178 Ed from OC

Ed from OC

• Admin
  • 1,553 posts
  • Interests:Professional: engineering, writing<br /><br />A few of my favorite things:<br />arts: movies, literature, dancing<br />Ballroom dances: tango, samba, bolero<br />TV shows: 24, anything Whedon-esque<br />computer: Apple PowerBook<br />lecture course: 8 Great Plays<br />drive: Pacific Coast Highway<br />architects: John Lautner, F.L. Wright<br />movie nobody knows: Don Juan de Marco<br />Physical constant: h

Posted 01 April 2007 - 08:02 AM

:)

This sucks.

I spoke yesterday with a friend about Stephen's condition, and how I had a feeling this was it... and yet I'm still shocked. Maybe tomorrow or Monday or soon it'll sink in, but today I still expect to hear from him by phone or e-mail about a new movie, or a play to go see, or to discuss some philosophic issue.

I met Betsy online about 15 years ago and quickly became friends. I soon thereafter met Stephen and grew close to him as well. For the last few years, I had the pleasure of dining with them weekly when I lived nearby, and after moving to Orange County, getting together with them about once a month, alternating between Ventura and Orange Counties. It was always a big pleasure that I looked forward to.

I've never met someone with whom I've shared such a close personal evaluation of movies. At least 90% of the time, if he liked something he'd seen, I'd know I'd like it as well, and vice versa. I was very happy to know that one of my personal favorites, Don Juan de Marco, he had never heard of -- but he liked it immensely when he saw it.

Likewise, he (and another friend, alann) got me interested in Buffy the Vampire Slayer, a favorite of his. I ended up loving it as nothing else I've seen on TV or film. I own every season on DVD (including all of Angel). For the last few months, I've been rewatching the entire series and today ended the fifth season. For those who haven't seen the show (shame on you for that!!) this season is emotionally provactive in the extreme. The set of episodes that begin with The Body and carry through to the beginning of season six are tragic beyond words. The characters grapple with death in a way I've never seen in another TV show or movie, and with far more emotional resonance than anything else I've seen.

When I saw these episodes for the first time, I was awestruck and teary-eyed. Watching them today, I kept thinking of Stephen -- and I wept. And if Stephen had been in my place, paralyzed with helplessness as someone good and close wrestled with the reaper, he would have as well.

I miss my friend.

#179 Arnold

Arnold

• Members
  • 1,993 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 08:39 AM

I can't believe it; so suddenly has this tragedy occurred. Betsy, I am dreadfully sorry. Even though I have never met either of you, we had 'contact.' All strength to you, to cope with your loss.

#180 Alon Tsin

Alon Tsin

• Members
  • 354 posts
  • Interests:Computer games, Current events, Movies, T.V, Books (especially Science fiction and Fantasy).

Posted 01 April 2007 - 08:52 AM

My deepest condolences to Betsy and her family. It is very very sad.

Be strong.
Alon Tsin

"The first point of wisdom is to discern what is false .the second, to know what is true".
- Lactantius

"All wisdom consists in this: not to think that we know what we do not know."
- Houng-Wu

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users